Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was finally able to get my upper intake installed. I had it powder coated with high heat chrome. It looks pretty decent in there. This also corrected my fast idle. Turns out the o right in the biss screw was missing so it must have been sucking air in there. The next step is to repaint the front heat shield with high heat silver then my engine bay is done.
Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are correct J.D... That one got by me. I was very surprised at how easy this job was. While I had things out of the way I also replaced the thermostat and both the temp sensors. Here is a pic of the Biss screw that I removed. As you can see the top is busted away and no O ring...

Table Wood Lighting Comfort Tableware

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought an upper intake and had it chrome powder coated...I had a fast idle problem and I was sure it was because of the biss screw. Turns out I was right. I could have just replaced the biss screw and O ring but I wanted to dress up the engine bay a little more. You have to admit the results are beautiful..
Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motor vehicle

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are definitely right J.D...The upper intake and throttle body I got from a donor car took care of my fast idle. I'm sure my fast idle was more than just the O ring missing from the biss screw. Now I am troubleshooting a P0403 and P0442 code.I erased the codes but they came back the same thing so I may have to get a new EGR Valve .

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Thank you for the info @jelazar ... I do have another solenoid if the one on the car is bad. I will check the resistance as you say. Thanks
Funny you should mention louvers J.D... I was speaking to a fellow that does this but found it to be too expensive...
Hey @Sisyphus58 ...Bansky is too busy and he refuses to sign his work so I told him to forget it.

Asphalt Motor vehicle Font Rectangle Road surface

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just out of curiousity, how high was your idle? every now and then the insufficient flow EGR code pops up but, Im chasing bigger issues now (having to do with my brake/battery light coming on and upper and lower oil pans leaking).
Believe it or not, my car idled at 2500 RPM...I had to ride the brake to keep in the flow of traffic. After reading a lot of posts on this subject It gave me the courage to replace the upper intake on my own. It was a very simple job. I was afraid to do it because of all the sensors/solenoids and wiring. I am over the moon with joy now that my car is running strong...

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I thought about having my intake polished but the cost was too much. He gave me a guesstimate of $400.
I spoke too soon on my update. The code P0403 came back. The exhaust recirculation is insufficient and has disabled the EGR.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
The check engine light is out, but now I have a new problem. My car seems to be running hot... The gauge shows the temperature getting into the danger zone, but then it drops. The fans are coming on, but I’m leaving a little puddle of antifreeze every time I park? I believe Murphy Law is at work. I fix one problem and the another arises. Any. Ideas...

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
There is no leak. Only when I stop or park. I parked the car on an incline, so the rad was at a higher level, and let it run... Lots of air did come out. I let it run a good half hour in the driveway and all was good. Then on the way home, the gauge showed it running hot, but it would always drop back to a decent temp when the fans kick in. Then, when I park, it wants to puke out the antifreeze. Would this happen if my heater core is plugged?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My rad is new and so is the cap. I upgraded the rad to an aluminum Mishimoto... I will check today to see when the fans are coming on... I should mention I do not get much heat out of the blower...

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Boy oh boy... Do I feel like a dummy... The original rad has the fins running horizontally, whereas the Mishimoto has them vertically… My friend explained to me that the top part of the Mishimoto rad acts like an expansion tank. When I fill the rad to the top of the neck, it has no room to expand, so it pukes it onto the road. I took the car for a drive and the gauge goes to the three-quarter mark and then drops to the halfway point. I got the car out on the highway and all is okay. By the way...you don't have to agree with my comment about feeling like a dummy.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I do have an overflow tank... I agree with you men that the rad should be full, with all the air expelled. Right now, the level is just above the connecting tubes and every thing seems to be okay. I would hate to have to rip it apart again because I just installed new sensors and thermostat. Maybe I have no choice but to redo my work?

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I did what you guys have said. Filled the rad (just water) to the top of the neck and the overflow to the cold mark. The gauge shows it gets to the three-quarter mark and then drops to just below half. Then, when I stop, it pukes out onto the road. Has done this repeatedly ... I have no clue why this is happening. When I changed out the intake, that got rid of my fast idle and the car runs really well other than spilling out the coolant.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
The cap that came with my Mishimoto rad is rated at 19lbs...
I have got so many different answers to why I am overheating. While the car is no longer spitting out the antifreeze, the car still runs hot. I am wondering if it has anything to do with me having my intake powder coated. Obviously, this would contain the heat more than a plain intake? Maybe the thermostat failed?
I'm going to take it for a drive this morning and see what codes come up...maybe that will give me something to go on?
The car seems to run great...idles at about 800 and has no hesitation with lots of power.
I really appreciate you guys... it's like having your own team, just like the NASCAR crews.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
The car gets up to the three-quarter mark and then drops a little below the horizontal mark. Something I noticed today... I pulled the plug off the top of the sensor with the dual wire...the plastic part of the sensor turns a little... I didn't want to turn it too much, but that should be solid, I believe... I have a new thermostat and gasket, so I will install that and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I’m happy to say my car is no longer overheating. It was the thermostat... Just because you put a brand new one in does not mean it's going to work. The part must have been defective right from the start. I know I’m going to sleep well tonight because I have been tossing and turning these last few days. Thanks to all who gave input...

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
The failed thermostat was installed correctly, but that thing was garbage. I put the new thermostat in boiling water, and it opened right away... I did the same thing with the one I removed, and it would not open. As far as the sensor plastic part moving, a little bit does not affect its operation because the gauge and fans are working. Now that the overheating problem is fixed, I can get these mufflers hooked up. Sitting in the grass at the car show they look very low to the ground, but on the road there is plenty of room.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire
Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle Tire

1 - 18 of 18 Posts