Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i haven't been in the forum for a LONG while, so i don't know if this is a common problem or not. took the car out shopping this week, on the way home i notice it's getting hard to turn so i took it right away to the shop. first they said that the power steering fluid was gone, then we found out that there was a leak and the new fluid just went all the way to the floor. they said something about the flex pipe rubbing against the heatshield and that's what causing the leak. they ordered a part from mitsu and i assumed it's a 2-hr job (cost me about $150 altogether). got it fixed but i haven't tried taking the car out again. honestly i've been having problems since last year (wasn't the car's fault, it was an aftermarket alarm failure) and now i hesitate everytime i want to take the car.

was this a recall issue? did someone else have the problem? it's a 2000 gt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No but it does happen, having a hose rot and crack causing it to leak is just basic automotive care , i wouldnt worry bout driving the car Happy mitsuing

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
There was a recall on 2000 models that affected one of the power steering lines. Something about it being too close to the exhaust and possibly causing a fire. I really cannot remember any more than that.

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
Here you go.

NHTSA Recall ID: 01V295001

Mitsubishi ECLIPSE 2000 (00)

Mitsubishi Recall Campaign No.:

Component: STEERING:HYDRAULIC POWER ASSIST:HOSE, PIPING, AND CONNECTIONS

Recall Date (Y/M):2001/09

Defect: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES BUILT WITH V6 ENGINES TO FEDERAL EMISSION STANDARDS. THE POWER STEERING FLUID FEED TUBE CAN COME IN CONTACT WITH AN EXHAUST MANIFOLD MOUNTED HEAT SHIELD CAUSING A HOLE TO BE WORN THROUGH THE POWER STEERING PIPE ALLOWING FLUID LEAKAGE.

Consequence: LEAKING POWER STEERING FLUID CAN RESULT IN A FIRE AND CONTINUED LOSS OF FLUID WILL RESULT IN A LOSS OF POWER ASSIST, INCREASING THE RISK OF A CRASH.

Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE POWER STEERING TUBE WITH ONE HAVING A NEW ROUTING. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN NOVEMBER 26, 2001. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT MITSUBISHI AMERICA AT 1-800-222-0037.

·
Banned
4,408 Posts
that hose is very cheap and only 2 clamps, its a very easy repair even if it is not covered, I believe it was 7/99-6/2000 eclipses that were covered

1 - 5 of 5 Posts