Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my fiancée's Eclipse power steering stopped working the other day. It basically works as soon as you accelerate. Even if you are in park and rev the engine it works fine. The fluid level never dropped or anything. I checked the belts and all and it's all fine.

So I figured it was a bad pump and replaced it today. Still the same thing. Very rough at idle and when stopped and fine if car is running. Does anybody have a suggestion on what else it might be? One person suggested it's rack and pin but if that was it I don't think it would work at all.

The vehicle is 2002 Eclipse GS 2.4

I apologize if I posted this in the wrong place. I also searched the forum but didn't see any relevant info. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
So when you have it in park and rev the engine the wheel is able to turn fine but when you have it in park and in idle it doesn't? Do you happen to hear any noises of any kind? Also just to verify, when you are in drive and driving normally it works fine?

This should have been posted here Problem Reports - Club3G Forum : Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Forums. But you should be good as far as posting this here. If a moderator wants to move this thread to the Problem and Reports forum then they will.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hmmm. I have never came across or heard of that problem before with any car. There could be a possibility that something with the pressure switch is messing up. How do all your hoses look? Also, did you bleed it properly when replacing the pump? I take it the belt also looks fine and not worn or damaged?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's what I don't get about the bleeding procedure. And I know,I'm a noob.

It says disconnect the high voltage cable to intermittently run the starter motor. I have no clue which cable that is and I've disconnected the crankshaft sensor but when I try to start the engine it cranks. If you know, can you explain this bleeding procedure in lamer terms please? Tnx

·
Registered
60 Posts
The power steering pump has a self bleeder. All you have to do is turn the wheel all the way to each side until there is no noise coming from it.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
It's been a couple years since I last bleed mine but here is an online service manual for our cars http://www.club3g.com/forum/3g-ecli...2-online-3g-service-manual-now-gt-s-info.html. Also, here is the power steering section in PDF form I will go ahead and link to you http://tearstone.com/eclipsefsm/37A.PDF. It has the bleeding procedure in there and should be easier to follow compared to the hanes manual if you are using that, I used the hanes manual a couple years back when bleeding mine. It may seem complicated but it's quite easy once you get into it. I hope this helps you out with the issue you are having.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your help Corey!

I bled the PS pump today and ran about a quart of fluid through it. The fluid that came out of it looked like chocolate milk. I disconnected a crankshaft sensor and cranked it several times while turning the wheels until clear fluid started coming out. I also kept filling the reservoir while doing it.

Unfortunately, still the same thing. Now there's a high pitched noise coming from either a pump or the belt itself. I have no clue what else it could be.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Hmmm. A constant high pitch noise or a high pitch noise when you turn the wheel? I will give a PM to a member called Silvertune and link this problem reports thread so he can help you out more. I'm sure he will probably be able to possibly figure out what exactly it is. I honestly do not know what else it could be, it would be easier if I was there in person lol. Sorry I couldn't help you enough to eliminate the problem =/.

·
First Car
49 Posts
Hello,

It could possibly be your Idle Air Control Valve. (IACv) When idleing, and your try to turn the Steering wheel, do your RPMs spike abit for the load? They should go up a couple hundred RPMs until your done steering. If you cant test it because they don't, try and turn on your AC full blast and watch for the compressor to kick in, it should also shoot up your RPMs a couple hundred (assuming your A/C works). Tell us if it does.

If not you may need to clean out your IACv (Easy Job). And if it doesn't fix it but improves it, you may need a new IACv altogether.

Cheers,

New2Mitsu

1 - 11 of 11 Posts