Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did some research online, also searched the forum here. It seems I have a pre-ignition problem on one of my cylanders. I always use 89 Octane gas, the problem seems to have started recently. Could a bad O2 sensor be causing a discrepancy in the timing of the engine? Has anyone else had a problem they were able to remedy similar to mine?

There was not any significant info on pre-ignition on here, just thought I would ask if there was any way to cure the issue. I am going to do a tune-up on the ignition system, at the same time I am going to be replacing a mildly leaking valve cover gasket. Should I look for anything specific when I have the valve cover off, or inspect the spark plugs for anything special?

·
Cola
766 Posts
Hmm.. well There is this little sticker on the gas lid that says... "Premium Fuel" and.. that would be 93, 91 (93 in my case) So.. You are probably better off.. USING what it says to use.

Just my .02c

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Hmm.. well There is this little sticker on the gas lid that says... "Premium Fuel" and.. that would be 93, 91 (93 in my case) So.. You are probably better off.. USING what it says to use.

Just my .02c
Thats what I used to think but after throwing some codes about "bank 1 rich" I took it into Mitsu to have them look it over. They could find no problems and suggested that I switch to regular (87 or 89, I forget which as I never use it). I have only put premium in the tank since I got it years ago and I thought it was odd that they recommended the low grade stuff. :dunno:

I would look @ the spark plugs while you are under the hood just to make sure they are not covered in oil or burnt up. Based on your description "pre-ignition issues with one cylinder".... Well, I don't have a clue what that means. How about posting up what SES codes you have.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll do the tune up and check the condition of the plugs. As of now, the only code is an O2 sensor which will be replaced as soon as I fix the leaking gasket. If nothing changes after the new plugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor, then I will scan the codes again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts