Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry in advance, I DID search for almost an hour and couldn't find any consensus...

RIPP's site recommends NGK copper core plugs (particularly with the boost cooler), but I remember reading in David Vespremi's "Car Hacks and Mods for Dummies" book that copper plugs may have to be changed with every oil change. Is that true, for those of you who run copper plugs with Stage 1 SDS? Like others, I don't relish the thought of changing plugs every 3,000 miles :( I did a Google search and one of the things that came up was a C5 Vette forum, and it sounds like they changed their copper plugs every 15-30K, which would be reasonable for me.

If any of you are using other plugs with a Stage 1 SDS, what kind and what gap? Thanks.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I use NGK-6097 or BKR7E plugs. Gapped to 0.030" is perfect for 16 PSI on my MSD box. You can probably gap yours to 0.033-0.035" for 5-7 PSI.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SDS & boost cooler ordered on 8/3, just awaiting RIPP to ship--hopefully real soon. Maybe I should have made you an offer on your turbo setup, Randy, but seriously, stop thinking about selling your putang magnet and just keep it as is already. It's arguably the nicest 3G on the forum. In fact, spend more money on it. Get a Quaife--you'll really enjoy being able to put more of your power to the ground.

Alright, so 2 of you are recommending copper plugs, as expected. RIPP recommends the NGK bcpr7es-11 (also copper core). So the $1M question, how often should I plan to replace these sons of bitches?

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I run Zex, pregapped
Please DO NOT run Zex plugs. I've had SEVERAL Zex plugs pulled out of my motor with loose insulators and even missing insulators. This was on a conservative tune with methanol injection. Zex plugs are CRAP.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
how can a plug be pregapped for every application? That to me makes the plug bullshit. Every engine is different. Get the NGKs

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
Please DO NOT run Zex plugs. I've had SEVERAL Zex plugs pulled out of my motor with loose insulators and even missing insulators. This was on a conservative tune with methanol injection. Zex plugs are CRAP.

I haven't had any issue with the Zex plugs. I have to ask if you know definitively that you had zero knock and/or detonation events.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I haven't had any issue with the Zex plugs. I have to ask if you know definitively that you had zero knock and/or detonation events.
I know for sure I'm not the first one to have problems with these plugs. I thought they were awesome and was skeptical of others' comments until they failed on me.

My tune shows 2 counts of knock maximum. No different than stock.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry in advance, I DID search for almost an hour and couldn't find any consensus...

RIPP's site recommends NGK copper core plugs (particularly with the boost cooler), but I remember reading in David Vespremi's "Car Hacks and Mods for Dummies" book that copper plugs may have to be changed with every oil change. Is that true, for those of you who run copper plugs with Stage 1 SDS? Like others, I don't relish the thought of changing plugs every 3,000 miles :( I did a Google search and one of the things that came up was a C5 Vette forum, and it sounds like they changed their copper plugs every 15-30K, which would be reasonable for me.

If any of you are using other plugs with a Stage 1 SDS, what kind and what gap? Thanks.
I have a SDS with all upgrades from RIPP and I bought NGK Copper Plugs in their shop. The product number is 2387 BKR7ES-11. The gap that RIPP gave my car was a .30 gap, I believe the stock is a .4 gap. Hope this helps.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
I know for sure I'm not the first one to have problems with these plugs. I thought they were awesome and was skeptical of others' comments until they failed on me.

My tune shows 2 counts of knock maximum. No different than stock.
Fair enough and good to know.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I've run Zex on 3 builds no problem, to each his own
So if you acknowledge that myself and others have had these plugs fall apart, why encourage others to take the chance? The Zex plugs have NO ADVANTAGE over traditional copper or iridium plugs. It's all marketing BS.

This isn't just my opinion; the two plugs that fell apart inside my engine are fact.

Here are some pictures of the same plugs from CloudINC00: http://www.club3g.com/forum/1840737-post53.html

I'm not trying to attack you personally, but recommending Zex plugs is no different than honestly telling a forum member that it's okay to buy Dropzone coilovers or another known BAD product.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
The Zex plugs have NO ADVANTAGE over traditional copper or iridium plugs. It's all marketing BS.
I disagree with that. Multiple grounding straps help with heat removal, and that is a definite advantage over a single strap system. I think we can certainly argue the quality of ZEX plugs. They are made in France after all.

Here are some pictures of the same plugs from CloudINC00: http://www.club3g.com/forum/1840737-post53.html
I looked at those plugs from the picture and it looks like there was a fuel ratio issue.

And what did this last comment mean: "Poor guys. They were good while they lasted. the reason why they messed up is mostly my fault - haha."?

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
I disagree with that. Multiple grounding straps help with heat removal, and that is a definite advantage over a single strap system. I think we can certainly argue the quality of ZEX plugs. They are made in France after all.

I looked at those plugs from the picture and it looks like there was a fuel ratio issue.

And what did this last comment mean: "Poor guys. They were good while they lasted. the reason why they messed up is mostly my fault - haha."?
Doesn't really matter - I've never seen normal NGK plugs do that before. I'm running NGK plugs on the same tune that my Zex plugs failed on, and they are still in tact.

Show me some evidence of reduced pre-ignition with Zex plugs over 7 or 8 heat range NGK plugs and I may buy the "multiple ground straps" theory. Those tiny ground straps on the Zex plugs may not even provide as much surface area for heat conductivity or cross sectional area for heat flow when compared to the much larger, further extending ground strap on a normal NGK plug. The amount of surface area and cross sectional area is probably roughly the same. There is a reason Zex doesn't market any kind of higher heat carrying capacity for their spark plugs. They focus on the "anti fouling" ability of the three separate ground straps :D

This is all speculation, but I'm fairly certain the Zex plugs are just a product of marketing BS.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
2,954 Posts
Doesn't really matter - I've never seen normal NGK plugs do that before. I'm running NGK plugs on the same tune that my Zex plugs failed on, and they are still in tact.
Hold on, what do you mean it doesn't matter? You provided those pictures of the damaged plugs and then the guys said it was "his fault". In what context did he mean that? I have seen NGKs all messed up from poor tunes: bend and broke straps and blown out electrodes. Maybe you got a bad batch that got dropped some where that compromised their quality. If you say your using the same tune, well you may want to make some changes. Any tune that trashes some plugs is not a good tune. The NGKs may have a slightly higher threshold, but it sound like you could be pushing it.

On the ohter hand, if you are having better luck with the NGKs then that is fine. I've had no issues with the Zex plugs. Not to say that one day I won't change, but since Russ, Greg, and a whole bunch of us are using them, I don't buy your assertion that they are 'crap'.

Show me some evidence of reduced pre-ignition with Zex plugs over 7 or 8 heat range NGK plugs and I may buy the "multiple ground straps" theory. Those tiny ground straps on the Zex plugs may not even provide as much surface area for heat conductivity or cross sectional area for heat flow when compared to the much larger, further extending ground strap on a normal NGK plug. The amount of surface area and cross sectional area is probably roughly the same. There is a reason Zex doesn't market any kind of higher heat carrying capacity for their spark plugs. They focus on the "anti fouling" ability of the three separate ground straps :D

This is all speculation, but I'm fairly certain the Zex plugs are just a product of marketing BS.
I wish I could show some evidence, but I can't find any info on comparative heat threshold. I based my decision to buy ZEX on some of the senior members using them to good effect with their FI projects. As far as I know, I haven't heard of anyone else having issues with them.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
FWIW, I will be running the Zex's as soon as I boost for the same reasons as repforenzo. I thought RIPP said they were ok to use. I know Tearstone recommends them.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I really like the way this discussion is going.

I would like to throw my two cents in. I've had Zex plugs for around 3 yrs now and finally feel that it's time to change them. They have performed well enough, but I find the fact that they are pre-gapped to be a drawback.
Every car is different and reacts differently. Some will work better with a smaller gap, some a larger gap. This is especially important when boost is thrown into the picture.

Anyone know the gap on the ZEX plugs?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts