Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have a garrett gt3076r and I am having trouble clocking the turbo's center section. There is no problem rotating the intake side of the turbo, but the exhaust side is seized. The center section will not budge, even with the bolts out. Right now I am letting some PB blaster soak in, hoping that will free her up. Does anyone have any input, perhaps something I'm missing?

Thanks, Ken

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well.. apparently she doesn't want to budge. I even tried tapping it with a brass hammer a bit, no movement. Thinking I'm going to have to send her back to garrett or someone else who knows what they're doing after thanksgiving.

·
GT35 DOHC 500wHp
533 Posts
I would say heat hotside with torch a bit and use a pry bar put it between hotside and center section.

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will get you a pic tomorrow, its locked in my old man's machine shop for the night. I was getting frustrated, so I figured it was best to walk away from it before I did something stupid.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Good idea, Is the turbo used? The blades spin freely?? I've never had a locked turbo before, usually a few light taps is all it takes. But also since I am in the desert and we don't really get any rust.

·
OMFG
6,632 Posts
Im guessing its a used turbo.
This is pretty common thing once the turbo has seen some miles.
Pretty much the only thing you can do at this point is take the turbine housing completely off, or least back it off enough so that you can turn it.

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is used, has an honest 5600 miles on it. Everything spins freely, no shaft play. There isn't a lot of rust, but there is a little surface rust on it.

I sprayed it with pb blaster real heavy before I went in, so hopefully that helps free it up by tomorrow afternoon. Thanks for your help, I will let you know how it turns out tomorrow.

·
turbo? unf unf!
1,972 Posts
all u gotta do is
unbolt the turbine housing bolts, mallet the housing off by putting the compressor housing in the vise. do it gently, and slowly so it comes out evenly, and viola, its out.. clean the surface rust with a cloth and rotate it

·
Shocker Lite
1,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Problem solved! I used zee's method, hitting it with a rubber mallet after it had sat all night with PB blaster on it.. came right off no problem. Thanks guys! I appreciate it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts