Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, I installed a new dash and after reinstalling everything I couldn't find where to put one of the plugs. It's attached with a little black plastic clip on the left side behind the gauge cluster. I don't remember this wire being unplugged, all I remember is having to disconnect the plastic clip. As far as reference to what it is, behind the gauge cluster is the fuel, speedometer, and temp gauge plugs and then this one off to the side.

Second, after installing the gauges, the needles don't light up, the fuel gauge shoots up to full (it's not) and the heat gauge goes up past H, even though it's not.

Another problem, I also tried to install new LEDs into my HVAC and after wrestling with it for an hour I finally got them in, now they don't work and the stereo lights above them (untouched) are incredibly dim.

And lastly, after this whole thing my car seems to almost stall out while stopped after the install. Any ideas?

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
did you disconnect the battery while doing this? If so, that would explain the near stalling. Let your car idle for about 10 minutes, it needs to relearn the proper air/fuel ratio

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, battery was unplugged for probably around 6 or 8 hours today while doing the dash install. I'll let it idle tomorrow and see if it clears up that issue. Also, thats the most important issue since it's my daily driver. I got work tomorrow : \

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Did you install new gauge faces or anything like that? Thats the only reason I can think of for the needles reading wrong.

Is that small black plug for your dimmer switch (left of the steering wheel)? If that is not pluged in then several of the lights will not work at all.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Did you install new gauge faces or anything like that? Thats the only reason I can think of for the needles reading wrong.

Is that small black plug for your dimmer switch (left of the steering wheel)? If that is not pluged in then several of the lights will not work at all.
Ah crap, it probably is for the dimmer switch. That would explain alot (and hopefully fix alot). Now that you mention it, I don't remember ever plugging that back in. Just the foglight switch.

And yeah I installed new gauge faces (indiglo gauges) and followed this walkthrough for installing them. The only problem is that when I went to splice in the power wires there was a black wire with a green stripe, green with white strip (power) then a black wire. Wasn't sure which black one was the right wire so I used the black with no stripe to ground.

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
Ah crap, it probably is for the dimmer switch. That would explain alot (and hopefully fix alot). Now that you mention it, I don't remember ever plugging that back in. Just the foglight switch.

And yeah I installed new gauge faces (indiglo gauges) and followed this walkthrough for installing them. The only problem is that when I went to splice in the power wires there was a black wire with a green stripe, green with white strip (power) then a black wire. Wasn't sure which black one was the right wire so I used the black with no stripe to ground.
yeah, then that makes sense. Without the dimmer switch your indiglo gauges will work (I think) and your other dash/hvac lights will not.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah, then that makes sense. Without the dimmer switch your indiglo gauges will work (I think) and your other dash/hvac lights will not.
Plugged back in the dimmer switch on the way to work and my odometer light comes on now along with my sportronic gear lights. I'll find out whether or not it fixes the dash lights tonight. As for the heat and fuel gauge, those are still showing full gas and that my car is overheating so much that it should blow up. Still idles a bit strange, acting like it wants to stall out but I guess it will take a couple days for the comptuer to reprogram itself?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
As for the heat and fuel gauge, those are still showing full gas and that my car is overheating so much that it should blow up.
You pushed the needles too far down on the pins and they have gotten "stuck" OR you just need put them on in the wrong position and you should remove and reinstall them. I guess it could also be related to them hitting the indiglo gauge faces if they are not seated flush to the OEM gauge face.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You pushed the needles too far down on the pins and they have gotten "stuck" OR you just need put them on in the wrong position and you should remove and reinstall them. I guess it could also be related to them hitting the indiglo gauge faces if they are not seated flush to the OEM gauge face.
Thats probably not it, I didn't remove the needles or press down on them and I had the fuel gauge set to just under 1/2 a tank whenever I first plugged it in. As for the heat gauge, it still goes down all the way it just shoots back up when I turn the car back on.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Thats probably not it.
Well, if thats not it then I'd suggest you pull everything you just installed back out and see if the problem still persists.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, if thats not it then I'd suggest you pull everything you just installed back out and see if the problem still persists.
Well I didn't fry the board did I? I would think that if I had fried any part of it then the gauges wouldn't work at all.

·
Registered
223 Posts
You probably have to pull the pins off and put them back on while the car is running to zero them in properly. Wait till the engine warms up for the heat pin and redo the gas pin next time you fill up. As long as they are moving, you didn't push them in too far, but getting them to the correct position can be a bitch, especially if you have to take off the speed and rpm pins.

·
Registered
273 Posts
As far as the needles shooting straight up are concerned you do not need to remove them. Same thing happend to me when I installed mine and the issue was that the power wires for the gauges were not making a good connection to the wires I tapped into behind the gauge cluster.

Check and make sure that if you used butt connectors to splice the wires, that they are indeed secure. If your temp needle doesnt shoot straight up after you make sure theyre fine the next time you turn on the key then its fixed. If it is then your gas gauge will not move down. Dont worry about that. Just go to the gas station and fill the tank up. The needle will move down on its own.

·
6G72_4_LIFE
196 Posts
make sure the screws in the back of the gauges are all the way in i had the same problem but now its fine.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts