Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having problems with my 2002 Eclipse GS. I noticed that my compressor is working because i could hear the noise whenever i turn on the AC. However, the AC clutch turns on and off like every three seconds.... i tried recharging the freon by putting an entire can from Auto Zone. but no luck... can anyone help me please!!!! I am leaving a link to a video that i took from my car, showing the problem that i am having

A/C problems - YouTube

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I dont get it

i still dont think that it has to do with freon being low or high, i assume that it has to do with the actual compressor... any ideas??

·
Registered
21 Posts
Mitsubishis are very sensitive to low high pressures, they have a switch for sensing both.

If the compressor is cycling now it is very likely too high where as before it was probably slightly too low. A full can is about 12 oz, and I believe the system calls for 14 oz, so if there was 2, or more oz (likely) then you now have too much.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

is it a good idea if i just press into the Low pressure valve with a pen or something sharp, so that i can release some of that freon??

·
54,401 Posts
You need it professionally evacuated and recharged. Who knows how much is in there and what the pressures are.
is it a good idea if i just press into the Low pressure valve with a pen or something sharp, so that i can release some of that freon??
No.
You need it professionally evacuated and recharged. Who knows how much is in there and what the pressures are.
I do this (and many other things) for a living, LISTEN TO ME. You fuck shit up and grenade the compressor because liquid R134a and oil pool inside of it due to overcharging and you can kiss EVER having AC in your car again. It WILL shoot metal debris into every part of the system contaminating it. You'll go from maybe needing a $200 compressor to needing a condenser, receiver/dryer, and evaporator. I don't think you want to tear the dash out of your car over a $150 AC system evac/recharge. Once metal particles are in the system you can never flush all of them out. Some will remain and they will continue to eat and destroy new compressor after new compressor constantly recontaminating the system with metal.
When they're recharging the system, if they know their shit, they'll be able to see if the system has a bad compressor or blockage on the pressure gauges. Right now, you could have 1/2lb or you could have 3lbs. You could have 4oz of oil or you could have 6oz of oil. You could have just gummed it all up with stop leak goop and it'll never work right again.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

No.

I do this (and many other things) for a living, LISTEN TO ME. You fuck shit up and grenade the compressor because liquid R134a and oil pool inside of it due to overcharging and you can kiss EVER having AC in your car again. It WILL shoot metal debris into every part of the system contaminating it. You'll go from maybe needing a $200 compressor to needing a condenser, receiver/dryer, and evaporator. I don't think you want to tear the dash out of your car over a $150 AC system evac/recharge. Once metal particles are in the system you can never flush all of them out. Some will remain and they will continue to eat and destroy new compressor after new compressor constantly recontaminating the system with metal.

When they're recharging the system, if they know their shit, they'll be able to see if the system has a bad compressor or blockage on the pressure gauges. Right now, you could have 1/2lb or you could have 3lbs. You could have 4oz of oil or you could have 6oz of oil. You could have just gummed it all up with stop leak goop and it'll never work right again.

So what do you recommend that i do?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts