Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
UPDATE:

Bad news of sorts, it's going down the drain, sellin everything we bought..

As a matter of fact, I'm parting out my entire turbo setup on my prelude as well.

We have our future in mind, and other cars (Evo), so we changed our path..

-Used AiResearch/Garrett T04E
-Brand new 1g DSM BOV and Flange
-Brand new 2 5/8" boost gauge (fits in any air vent perfectly)
-Brand new NipponDenso 365cc injectors(6)

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
Ill be intersted to see this. My kit is gonna be "cheap" as turbo kits go but is still gona be $3500. Thats also using quality parts and doing it all myself.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tearstone said:
I can probably do an oil kit cheaper than that. I have a few oil kits put together sitting right in front of me. On the V6 kit you need at least 3" of hose unlike the 1~2ft. you get in other universal kits.
I'll get in contact with ya when we get to that point, all of the prices of what we need are guesstimates.. I always guess high for the heck of it :D

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Garn, got a question man. If I was to purchase tearstone's bottom end and turbo kit, would you be able to help with installation or would I be better off finding a shop?? Good luck with the kit, when it comes together, I want to meet up with you sometime and check it out.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ARACHNO said:
Garn, got a question man. If I was to purchase tearstone's bottom end and turbo kit, would you be able to help with installation or would I be better off finding a shop?? Good luck with the kit, when it comes together, I want to meet up with you sometime and check it out.
Hey, yea of course I will help out, maybe for some food, lol.. The one thing I can't really do is weld the bung on your oilpan.. you could either use a bulkhead type fitting (which would be okay to use with regular inspection), or do it the really nice/right way and get it TIG welded.

Rulez said:
Garn, if you dont feel like fabbing up all that stuff, which wont be easy, I have turbo piping I can sell you that will bolt right up. The piping would include the collector piping off the manifolds and a downpipe.
Unless you are talkin REALLY cheap on the manifold, I will still probably DIY, iunno, its fun! hehe..

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Garn, I will let you know when the time comes. What I am planning on doing is, when this money arrives im waiting on, I am sending off about half the cost of the block and the turbo kit and then financing the rest until its paid off, hopefully by next summer. Yeah I would probably do everything the right way and do everything right the first time so I don't have to keep fixing the same thing, ya know? Do you know how to tune man or would I be better off finding a shop to do it?? Oh and dont worry, i'd pay ya pretty good. I really want to be part of the installation so i can learn about everything as it goes on and i have a general knowledge of everything and I think it would be a fun experience.

When do you plan on having the kit on her car completed?

·
We are...Penn State
2,503 Posts
sounds like a fun project, good luck

I still can't believe it's a 3001 Eclipse, didn't know they had come out with those yet, haha, just messin with yah

and hey, I go to radford, would love to see the eclipse(and the lude I guess) some time

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Some more info on the whole project and parts we are using..

First off, just because this is on a budget, doesn't mean we have to use cheap parts.. If you are patient with looking around for the best deals, you will come across some GREAT buys. We are using all NICE stuff here, no crappily put together stuff here!

The DSM BOV - everyone knows how awesome of a BOV this is, withstands 15+ psi of boost, more than we will ever need, and its made by Mitsu, so it matches! :D We got it brand new (you can get them through RRE new, and other places, dealer too probably).. we also got a flange with it, perfect.. got a killer deal on it.

we got a 2 5/8" (65mm) boost gauge, and we were dang lucky, because it literally fits in snugly into the air vent hole!

The injectors we bought (which came in today!) were also a killer deal, 9.99 each on ebay + shipping.. Tearstone helped me out with the stock injector measurements and everything checked out. They are high impedence (14.4 ohm i believe it was) and 365cc @ 43 psi.. I have heard 3g's run around 37 psi, so I used a calculator I found online and found out it would be equiv to 340cc.. still should be plenty for up to 350 whp I would say..

The Holset HX35, which is what we are really going after, is a bulldog of a turbo, it's pretty dang reliable, many are avaliable, and it's popular in the DIY honda, volvo, nissan world to name a few. It will support 400+ whp and spools rather quickly due to its t3 turbine side... As a matter of fact, there is a local 240sx with a hx35 on a KA24 (stock motor mind you), running 30 psi, and hitting 450 whp.. the "W" model has an internal wastegate, but I am weary if it will hold back the big boy at a measly 7 psi..

The SAAB 900 intercooler, is probably the best stock SMIC out there, its dual pass, which makes it convenient for this car since both the inlet/outlet come out the same side. The tubes are also rather large, so it will flow rather well. It has 2.5" IN/OUT.. I have one for my prelude which I havent put on as well!

The rest is pretty much self explanatory I believe..

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Garn, sounds great man, can't wait to see it done. Although, I know after I see it, I will probably blow some more money to get this kit ordered for myself even quicker than i have planned. haha.

You were menitioning a 240 sx locally...you mean in roanoke? If so, what color is it and what does it look like?

·
Kampfbereit
17,852 Posts
garn said:
The DSM BOV - everyone knows how awesome of a BOV this is, withstands 15+ psi of boost, more than we will ever need, and its made by Mitsu, so it matches! :D We got it brand new (you can get them through RRE new, and other places, dealer too probably).. we also got a flange with it, perfect.. got a killer deal on it.
In all reality Mitsubishi makes very little parts of their own. The stock Mitsu BOV is a Bosch IIRC.

That Holset is equilvalent to a T51 if I'm not mistaken, that's a nicely sized turbo for the V6 using on the stock engine. I want to see how this works out for you.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ARACHNO said:
Garn, sounds great man, can't wait to see it done. Although, I know after I see it, I will probably blow some more money to get this kit ordered for myself even quicker than i have planned. haha.

You were menitioning a 240 sx locally...you mean in roanoke? If so, what color is it and what does it look like?
He is in Lynchburg I believe, is an "S14" I think it is red, stock looking too hehe..

Tearstone said:
In all reality Mitsubishi makes very little parts of their own. The stock Mitsu BOV is a Bosch IIRC.

That Holset is equilvalent to a T51 if I'm not mistaken, that's a nicely sized turbo for the V6 using on the stock engine. I want to see how this works out for you.
Yea, it probably is, but 1g DSM bov's are much better than bosch's other OEM BOV's (plastic stuff..) that I have seen if it is made by them.

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
garn said:
Unless you are talkin REALLY cheap on the manifold, I will still probably DIY, iunno, its fun! hehe..
I'm not sure you entirely realize how hard it will be for you and a "friend" to make your own piping :lol:

What resources do you have? A lift? What type of welder? How experienced is the person welding? Are you buying mandrel bends and piecing them together (I hope you arent using crush bent).

It's just one hassle you wont have to worry about. You would only have to fab up your intercooler piping after that, which would be a tad easier. Plus, my turbo piping is ceramic coated and my downpipe is heat wrapped.

How much is "cheap" to you? I'll take an offer on them.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Rulez said:
I'm not sure you entirely realize how hard it will be for you and a "friend" to make your own piping :lol:

What resources do you have? A lift? What type of welder? How experienced is the person welding? Are you buying mandrel bends and piecing them together (I hope you arent using crush bent).

It's just one hassle you wont have to worry about. You would only have to fab up your intercooler piping after that, which would be a tad easier. Plus, my turbo piping is ceramic coated and my downpipe is heat wrapped.

How much is "cheap" to you? I'll take an offer on them.
I mentioned my "friend" because he works at a piping/muffler warehouse, or I should his dad owns the place. He gets me stuff for cheap. I have a Clarke 135 MIG, can be flux too.. I am doing the welding.

Of course I am buying mandrel bent pipes, do you think I'm a fuckin moron?

Great, ceramic coating intercooler piping does jack shit for you, heatwrap is far superior, might as well stick to that.

Your car is on the front page and you have some bigass ego and come barging into my thread, GTFO ::ghey3:

·
Boosted
3,343 Posts
garn said:

Your car is on the front page and you have some bigass ego and come barging into my thread, GTFO ::ghey3:

l o l :rofl:

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
garn said:
I mentioned my "friend" because he works at a piping/muffler warehouse, or I should his dad owns the place. He gets me stuff for cheap. I have a Clarke 135 MIG, can be flux too.. I am doing the welding.

Great, ceramic coating intercooler piping does jack shit for you, heatwrap is far superior, might as well stick to that.

Whoa buddy...you took me all wrong. I'm just trying to help you out, not pick on you. We get people in here all the time saying they wanna piece together this and that and create some uber turbo kit. I'm just trying to make sure you dont follow the wrong path. I have seen crush bent downpipes and IC piping before. Its no suprise really.

Also, when I said ceramic coated I was referring to my turbo piping, as in the collector pipes that flow exhaust, not my IC piping. And my downpipe is heat wrapped, which I also mentioned. Maybe you missed that too.

You need to chill out. You made this thread to get help and opinions. Dont get pissed if you dont like them.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts