Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So Ive decided that its about time for me to pick up a project car. I'm looking to start getting into autocross and some track racing. My question would be what cars would you guys recommend for this type of use. No evo and no sti(Im not into the box look). I have been looking at some cars like the mid 90's 300zx and the 3000gt but a buddy of mine thinks those cars have to long of a wheel base to be effective on an autocross track. I'm just looking for some educated opinions and reasoning about some decent cars.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
with the information you have supplied to us, I recommend a Lotus Elise with CB radio and optional rally fun pack.

How about a budget, for starters.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
A 3000GT is way too much of a pig to be a good autox'er. Both that and the 300ZX are more of touring cars than autox'ers. And add in parts are expensive, and they're both a bitch to work on (at least the turbo models), two things I wouldn't want in a project car.

You want a good autox car, try a Miata, they can be had pretty cheap and there's a ton of aftermarket. Maybe an FD or FC RX-7, if you can handle the maintenance.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
with the information you have supplied to us, I recommend a Lotus Elise with CB radio and optional rally fun pack.

How about a budget, for starters.
Budget for the car itself is around 8k.

You want a good autox car, try a Miata, they can be had pretty cheap and there's a ton of aftermarket. Maybe an FD or FC RX-7, if you can handle the maintenance.
Only problem I have with a Miata is I have a hard time fitting in one. I'm 6'3" and have really wide shoulders, so it makes me feel like that really really tall guy on the Simpsons who drives the VW.

·
BCS = t3h suck
1,393 Posts
Only problem I have with a Miata is I have a hard time fitting in one. I'm 6'3" and have really wide shoulders, so it makes me feel like that really really tall guy on the Simpsons who drives the VW.

Most of the autocross cars I see are pretty small so I would think you are going to have to figure out how to shoe horn yourself into them.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
1991-1995 MR2. Keep in mind the 91's had no LSD, it was optional in 92, and standard equipment from 93+. The 94-95 models are very hard to come by and pricey.

Given that, find yourself a 93 Turbo, strip it down, and have fun. :)

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
91 - 94 240sx. Tons of atftermarket suspension support. Tons of engine options (KA24DE, SR20DET, etc.) and support.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
91 - 94 240sx. Tons of atftermarket suspension support. Tons of engine options (KA24DE, SR20DET, etc.) and support.
Incredibly old chassis that to make "modern" for auto-x costs way more than the car is worth.

·
Premium Member
14,853 Posts
With that budget, I think the Miata is definitely the easy choice. A Camaro/Firechicken isn't a bad option either, although I'm not sure if I would want that to start with.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well now its just a matter of finding a car thats not completely rusted and 12 billion miles away. I think a rust free MR2 might be a little challenging for me to find her in Jersey. Is there a specific model of Miata to look for, besides one with a 5speed.

·
LORD WHITE CRACKER!!
2,967 Posts
Conquest TSI.

·
More guns than sense
38,301 Posts
Incredibly old chassis that to make "modern" for auto-x costs way more than the car is worth.
:agreed: The 240sx chassis was built like shit. Flexes more than a wet noodle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts