Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am seriously considering buying new projector housings for my 2003 Eclipse but I had a few questions that I was hoping that somebody could answer before I spend the money on a set.

First off, can anybody recommend a decent set of projector housings in the general area of $200 or less preferably. I am a big fan of some of the halo and other led accents but I am unsure if it would be worth the extra money to go for a ccfl halo as opposed to the cheaper version (led?). I would definitely want something that required minimal wiring beyond a simple plug and play, although i have done some research on wiring halos and other accent lighting to the running lights and it seems like something my inexperienced ability can handle.

Another question that I was curious about is whether it is safe and practical to use an HID kit with a projector housing. Will the beam be more controlled in this type of housing in order to avoid blinding other drivers and will the light output be significantly better than a standard bulb in a projector housing?

I would really appreciate some input on these questions and I apologize if this question has been repeated multiple times. Thanks in advanced.

·
Sold 3G, Got a 4S!
379 Posts
Another question that I was curious about is whether it is safe and practical to use an HID kit with a projector housing. Will the beam be more controlled in this type of housing in order to avoid blinding other drivers and will the light output be significantly better than a standard bulb in a projector housing?.
Well you already answered your own question. ;)

As for a recommendation, most people would say DEPO projector headlights would be the best way to go.

Edit: A REALLY quick search on the site and even google would have answered probably both your questions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Answered my own question about the hid kit? And I had somebody suggest depo already but I like the look of the halos, especially the brighter ccfm ones. I will definitely consider depo if I decide to go with something without the ccfm halos. Thank you HEATHB4R. Any other suggestions would still be appreciated though.

·
Sold 3G, Got a 4S!
379 Posts
Yes, WITH PROJECTORS. In all honesty it's your car and you are the one who ultimately decides what's to your liking. Search some more, all the answers you seek are right there for the taking.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
54,487 Posts
You can add Halo's to just about any headlight if you know what you're doing. Depo tend to have the best light output right out of the box. I'd suggest trying your hand at retrofitting some Mini H1 projectors in the stock housings. Bixenon (real ones) projectors are nice.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/119069-hid-basics-thread-read-first-before-asking-about-them.html

http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/150748-official-light-thread-head-tail-corner-pics-info-inside.html

Retrofits: Iconic Designz on Facebook

Only when you go from the thought process that headlights are an, "aesthetic mod" to a, "performance and safety mod" will you see the true benefits of a retrofit. It isn't very cheap, but you won't find yourself wanting to replace your headlights any time soon.

If you look into what Bitter is suggesting, you could DIY a Mini H1 kit for about $300 total investment (You can buy kits directly from me). The install of the projectors themselves is very straight-foward and relatively fool proof. If you were to have me retrofit a set for you, tack on $175 and shipping. You'll have yourself a professional, clean set of headlights that perform on par with the entry level OEM HID projectors out there, and outperform all OEM halogen projector setups. I'd like to add that the projectors inside of our aftermarket lights are all junk compared to OEM setups.

Possible outcomes of a retrofit:

Example of Mini H1 output:

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
i also highly recommend looking at retrofitting over considering any of the current 'projector' headlamps available for this car. they all stink--which is what got me involved in retrofitting in the first place.

a great place for learning about it is hidplanet.com, though jstewart does top notch work, so if you're really not sure about it all and would rather have someone do it for you, it'd be money well spent.

i like the styling of the sonar housings offered for our cars the best, but they have a really nasty glare issue-- it's less like this on black housings, but is still very much there, and with hids, easily blinds oncoming traffic:
http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/153277-why-chrome-headlights-suck-my-latest-project.html

·
Registered
60 Posts
jstewert: How much would you charge to get a pair of those retro headlights? Sorry im a little new to these forums but those are so clean that i want a pair like that.

·
Registered
215 Posts
The first set of retros look pretty slick. Might have to save up for some of those.
I know they're not on the same level but even going from a regular cheap bulb to a set of silverstars I noticed an immense difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts