Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Ah yes...
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear Members,

I am planning on setting up my car for a Ripp supercharger system, my question what is a general list of mods before installing a Ripp Supercharger. Right now I am planning on putting in a new clutch SPEC Stage 3, hardened bolts, Prothane motor mounts, and lightened stock flywheel. Then what would be the next logical step before adding a Ripp SDS system? I was thinking of setting up a new exhaust system. Headers and Cat-back exhaust, which would be the right size for a SDS a 2.5 or 3.0 inch? Is a Apexi SAFC needed too, ontop of the black box from Ripp? Then, my thoughts were toward going and setting up a new Qualife limited slip differential. Then setting up the Ripp SDS system, now I am not sure which one to start off with. The tuner package or the stage I package? After the sds is installed go and install a new suspension Eibach Pro-Kit and Koni inserts, along with anti-sway bars? Not sure if this is a good plan or not, so please fill me in.

Thanks,

Kris

2,546 Posts
go with a either ripp headers or hytechs if u can afford it and i would go with a either apexi n1 3" or greddy 3" of the gst eclipse turbo they fit with one hanger re ajusted also u shouldn't need any other tuning then the black box and go with stage 1 not the tuner and after that u are going to need a lsd and suspension i ahve the stage 2 10-11psi with no lsd and the trackion sucks

· Ah yes...
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Dosen't Injen make a already a 3 inch exhaust for the V6, also do I have to get custom tubing for the Apexi N1, or is the tubing already included? Also what's the difference between the tuner and stage 1, it looks like there is no black box in the tuner? Is there a need for a new manifold, or a company that makes custom manifold's for our cars?

BTW, are there any other quality headers besiders the Hytech's and Ripp's?

· Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Im in the same process as you so far I have done,Spec stage 3 clutch,Ripp headers and next week a custom 3 inch headerback. The SDS comes with a firm front mount. I guess im just lacking a Limited slip or else i would be ready to go.

· Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Dosen't Injen make a already a 3 inch exhaust for the V6, also do I have to get custom tubing for the Apexi N1, or is the tubing already included? Also what's the difference between the tuner and stage 1, it looks like there is no black box in the tuner? Is there a need for a new manifold, or a company that makes custom manifold's for our cars?

BTW, are there any other quality headers besiders the Hytech's and Ripp's?
While you are at it you may as well spend the extra $400 and get stage 2. If you are asking any questions, the tuners package is not for you.

People recomend a Diamonte or GTS manifold, But it is not required.

2,546 Posts
stock gts or dimante is fine also apexi n1 cat-back for the gts will fit comes with everything to bolt on form the cat-back and then either hytech or ripp headers is all u need to finish your exhaust besides maybe a high flow cat yeah and the stage 2 is worth it for the money.

u can go with shorty headers like the xiracing ones they will work too and are cheaper but the real gains i think are in the long tubes

· Ah yes...
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Okay let me get something straight, the Apexi N1 is just the muffler without any of the tubing correct? I have to go get custom tubing for the N1 muffler?

Or will a 2nd Gen Eclipse GST/GSX Apexi N1 exhaust work for the 3 gen GT 03?

Does anyone know if the Injen is already a 3in full CB?

· Boosted
3,341 Posts
dont lighten the stock flywheel, i never have seen them last long afterwards and IMO its a safety hazard that really isnt needed for a street car. i have seen them go and its not pretty.

get the long tubes for the V6. its worlds of difference vs the short, especially with the vortech.

again my opinion and some other awsome tuner on here might say otherwise and thats cool.

· Ah yes...
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TheFranchise said:
dont lighten the stock flywheel, i never have seen them last long afterwards and IMO its a safety hazard that really isnt needed for a street car. i have seen them go and its not pretty.

get the long tubes for the V6. its worlds of difference vs the short, especially with the vortech.

again my opinion and some other awsome tuner on here might say otherwise and thats cool.
Thanks for the info I wasnt sure about lightening the flywheel. Ill just resurface it in that case. Are the Hytech and Ripp the only long tube headers out there?

· New daddy
3,316 Posts
Yeah I wouldn't recomend lightening the stock v6 flywheel. MikeW from RRE once said that there is not very much material that can be safely removed from from the v6 flywheel. If the flywheel shatters you can say bye bye to your clutch, transmission bell housing, radiator, and possibly your foot, leg, or whatever part of your body the pieces of shrapnel hit.

· Registered
965 Posts
I would encourage you to start with a stage 2 probably as it doesn't require internals to be built so the cost is considerably less. Also doing the bottom end can be somewhat tricky as this engine is not like every otherone in the world.

· Ah yes...
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright so I think I'll just save up for the Ripp Stage 2, since from what I saw on Ripp's webpage amd on the forum gives you the best bang for the buck. Also keep the flywheel stock and just resurface it. I'll need a limited slip differential for the Stage 2. The exhaust manifold has to be changed to a GTS or Diamante exhaust manifold. Get long tube headers, either Hytech or Ripp. A 3 in cat-back exhaust and probably a suspension upgrade. Is there anything else I am missing?

· Registered
965 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
Alright so I think I'll just save up for the Ripp Stage 2, since from what I saw on Ripp's webpage amd on the forum gives you the best bang for the buck. Also keep the flywheel stock and just resurface it. I'll need a limited slip differential for the Stage 2. The exhaust manifold has to be changed to a GTS or Diamante exhaust manifold. Get long tube headers, either Hytech or Ripp. A 3 in cat-back exhaust and probably a suspension upgrade. Is there anything else I am missing?

Being in NE ohio area (PA) you are pretty close to RIPP in Staten Island, NY. I would check with them about installing this for you if you haven't done one before. You are only probably 4-6 hours from RIPP I think ?

As far as parts go you have the right idea going. The 3" exhaust is overkill, I have a 2.5" and made 368whp with no problem from the exhaust. I have the RIPP headers and a turbo muffler in the center with a glasspack at the rear.

· Ah yes...
10,802 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well that is what I was thinking as well, going to Ripp and letting them install it, I can't do it myself since I live in apartment. That's what I have been debating, not sure whether to go with a 2.5 or 3.0 inch exhaust. I read different forums and some people are like "2.5 will restrict exhaust flow, you will loose HP" but other people are like you said 3.0 inch is too large for the amount of power that these car make with superchargers and turbos.

BTW, which motor oil do most people use with the Ripp SDS system? 10w-30 or 15w-30? Are synthetics fine?

· Got Boost? Me either
5,598 Posts
Clipse3GT said:
The exhaust manifold has to be changed to a GTS or Diamante exhaust manifold. Get long tube headers, either Hytech or Ripp.
I can't believe you guys missed that. We are telling you to get the GTS or Diamante INTAKE manifold, not the exhaust manifold. The headers are the exhaust manifolds. and i would say get 3'' exhaust piping.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.