Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Unemployable
3,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just throwing this out there to get opinions on it, but what is the general consensus on making protein shakes with milk versus water?

·
Let it wang
962 Posts
i always used milk with muscle milk just because it tasted better to me. not sure of the pros and cons other than taste.

·
Suby Slider
5,239 Posts
I think it adds several calories, as well as more protein.

I use water because it tastes better to me. When I was younger I was slightly malnourished (my fault, not parents mind you), so my mom made me drink Ensure and Boost...and that shit is disgusting to me. Drinking muscle milk or protein with milk tastes just like that horrid shit, so I can't do it without wanting to vomit.

·
Xenon Powered
1,049 Posts
I like to put the Naked Juice in mine, I don't use to much just enough to get a thick drink, along with bananas, tastes pretty good.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I drink Whey Protein *chocolate flavored if I might add* with milk every night. I take it with milk because well you need milk anyways and it tastes a lot better. Because believe me, chugging chocolate water is not fun.

·
Premium Member
3,400 Posts
I asked the same question in a thread a while ago...I was talking about Muscle Milk btw.

what are the benefits of taking it with water vs. milk? what good does slowing the absorption rate do? i always take it with milk. i think it tastes 10times better.
this is the answer I got from Cam...

Anyways, after the gym you want to protein to be absorbed as fast as possible. Therefor mixing it in water helps to get it to your muscle more rapidly. Mixing it in milk drastically increases the absorbtion time. Thus taking it in milk before bed lets your muscles feed off of it more slowly over time.

·
Premium Member
9,734 Posts
Guys - this is really a non-issue. Yes, milk will slow down the digesting of proteins because milk protein (casein) forms a gel and is slower to digest than whey. How much slower is debatable, but from everything I've read on the subject, its moot. Hell, one of the best post workout recovery drinks - with the proper protein to carb ratio is.... dun dun dun!!! skim milk.

If you want the extra protein and calories, mix it with milk. If not choose, water. It won't really matter to you as far as efficacy.

·
One Lucky Fuck
10,172 Posts
so, it's ok if your working out late and mix with milk at night?
Milk proteins (casein) are slow-absorbing. Whey proteins are fast-absorbing. Adding milk to whey protein slows the overall rate of absorption and promotes a longer, sustained release.

After an intense workout, your body needs protein ASAP, so whey protein + simple carbs is the way to go for post-workout shakes as the carbs speed the uptake to your muscles.

Sleeping is basically an ~8 hour fast. milk/casein protein is ideal before bed because it releases slowly over time and will keep your body fed while you sleep. However, if your love handles are each the size of your fist or bigger, your body will not starve in your sleep, so don't worry about chugging down 300+ calories before bed.

What Cam is describing is an optimal setup for bodybuilders. While this is helpful, most of us (other than Cam) are not in anywhere near bodybuilder shape.

·
Premium Member
17,183 Posts
However, if your love handles are each the size of your fist or bigger, your body will not starve in your sleep, so don't worry about chugging down 300+ calories before bed.
I'm "good" to go then. :ugh: :mecry:

Thanks for the more detailed response. :yesway:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts