Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have searched the forum for this and did not find it. So I'll ask.

I have a 2003 Eclipse 2.4L L4 Automatic. All 4 motor mounts are torn (actually the 2nd time this is happened).

I have looked at putting in new Prothane motor mounts, but they only make mount add-ons for the manual transmission.

All I have been able to find are Anchor or Beck/Arnley mounts for my motor. Are there other options? Is anyone any better than the other?

Can I get better mounts, or am I stuck with the "factory" mounts?

Thanks for your help in advance.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
I have searched the forum for this and did not find it. So I'll ask.

I have a 2003 Eclipse 2.4L L4 Automatic. All 4 motor mounts are torn (actually the 2nd time this is happened).

I have looked at putting in new Prothane motor mounts, but they only make mount add-ons for the manual transmission.

All I have been able to find are Anchor or Beck/Arnley mounts for my motor. Are there other options? Is anyone any better than the other?

Can I get better mounts, or am I stuck with the "factory" mounts?

Thanks for your help in advance.
You can get prothane mounts for them... I am pretty sure the manuals will be fine, I don't see why not. I am sure someone will let you know for sure. But from what I hear some people have vibration problems. Do you already have bad vibration problems right now? I am guessing you do if they are torn, so I guess it shouldn't be worse than that. Just make sure to sleeve them tight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All 4 are torn (for the second time) and have to be replaced. The reason I am looking to upgrade from stock to performance is because this will be the 3rd complete set of motor mounts on this car. I was hoping prothane or performance mounts will help prevent the mounts from tearing again.

The first 2 sets were from the previous driver. She went on some EXTREMELY rough roads and ended up tearing the original set, replaced them, then had to go back on the roads again and ended up tearing the new set. So now I have to replace them again.

I have looked at the mounts, and while 2 mounts are the same (front at radiator and driver side transmission), 2 of them are quite different.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just sent out an email to them and they should get back to me by tomorrow. I will let you know.
Thank you sir.

I know the front (radiator) mount and the drivers side (transmission) mount are the same, but the passenger side and fire wall side are different between automatic and manual. I find that interesting since the transmission mount is the same on both models but the ENGINE mount is different between the 2. Same motor different mount.

I confirmed this by checking the different mounts for the models online and by looking at the instructions posted on this forum of how to do it, and when you look at the top view and side view, you can see the difference between 2 of the mounts.

I have learned this. The Prothane mounts are only an add-on. You have to have a good set of mounts to begin with (at an average of $65 each) and then add on the $70 Prothane kit to the new mounts. That makes the average cost of the mounts to be around $83 each.

·
Senior Dangler
2,093 Posts
what? the 2.4L prothanes aren't a full replacement? for the v6 you just push them in (derr let the car drop with the mount under the brake rotor, not pay for a press job) and it is a full solid disk. I know honda uses the insert onto stock style. If it is the insert style that uses stock mounts, get some window weld or whatever it is, and fill your mount with that. my buddy did it, WAY better then inserts. Its somewhere on a honda forum, not sure the exact proceidure

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I spoke with the guy at Prothane and confirmed it. I even asked point blank "I though you cut out the old rubber from the the mount and replaced it with the Prothane insert."

His reply was "Nope. You must have a good mount to begin with and this is an addon."

·
Super Moderator
54,499 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks, but i can't ship the old mounts off. I would have to buy a set, send these off, then swap them back. it has to be an immediate swap. this is my daily driver. i looked at their site and they don't have a stock of mounts.

·
Super Moderator
54,499 Posts
thanks, but i can't ship the old mounts off. I would have to buy a set, send these off, then swap them back. it has to be an immediate swap. this is my daily driver. i looked at their site and they don't have a stock of mounts.
Yep. Or get a rental.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.