Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I finally drove down and picked up my package from Fedex. When I ordered them I made sure that they were the red mounts, you have an option at AJUSA, where I got them from. The mounts were 76.06 shipped and took about 7 days to deliver since they were out of stock. Prothane put 4 little boxes in one big box with each box being labeled with which mount it is. Now for the pics:

Now I think I found problem everyone is having with the front mount, Im guessing its the front mount since its sleeve is thinner then the rest. This is what is probably causing the wear and tear from the bolt beating the sleeve.

I scanned the instructions for installing the mounts just incase anyone needs them for reference. Two of the mounts had the same exact instructions so I didnt bother scanning it twice.

Instructions 1
Instructions 2
Instructions 3

Im going to install the motor mounts later on today when it gets a bit warmer in my garage. Ill let you guys know how it goes.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Decyphered the labels on the boxes just incase for the people who dont know which mount goes where.

13-507 (FT) is the Front Mount
13-508 (RR) is the Rear Mount
13-509 (LT) is the Driver Side Mount
13-503 (VAR) is the Passanger Side Mount

Quick question, do any of you guys know if its possible to remove the mount bolts by hand? I just found out my uncle took my air compressor up north :rant: and all I have are my hand tools.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
If you have any suggestions or a picture how to on removing the insert from the passenger side engine mount, let me know. I've tried the hammer and chisel approach, but it did not work out. Good luck.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you have any suggestions or a picture how to on removing the insert from the passenger side engine mount, let me know. I've tried the hammer and chisel approach, but it did not work out. Good luck.
Well my car has been down for the past 5 days and just sitting out in my backyard in the snow. So im guessing the motor mounts are pretty cold if not frozen by now. I hope to just pull them out and beat on them with a hammer. Im going to go attempt to remove one mount right now and Ill let you know.

·
Lurker
825 Posts
I can get all of them but the passenger motor mount off. For some reason, that insert is impossible. Let me know how you progress.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well it seems like I wont be working on my car today, these bolts are rusted on and I dont have a breaker bar or my air compressor. Ill continue it tomorrow so for now the mounts are in my freezer waiting :(.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
how many threads do we need on this same subject? no need to start another
Theres no threads with in depth pictures or the instruction manuals uploaded. And if I have time I might even make a step by step how to with pictures. So theres no need for your comment.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Decyphered the labels on the boxes just incase for the people who dont know which mount goes where.

13-507 (FT) is the Front Mount
13-508 (RR) is the Rear Mount
13-509 (LT) is the Driver Side Mount
13-503 (VAR) is the Passanger Side Mount

Quick question, do any of you guys know if its possible to remove the mount bolts by hand? I just found out my uncle took my air compressor up north :rant: and all I have are my hand tools.
In answer to this question: yes

I will add that a press is essential.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
If your eluding to the compression ring, it needs to be cut out with either a hack saw or rip saw!

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your eluding to the compression ring, it needs to be cut out with either a hack saw or rip saw!
I hear you man. Today I only did the passanger side mount since the blade for the sawzill I was using was worn out. Honestly it took me only 2-3 min to remove the motor mount, about 10 minutes of removing the stock rubber and the ring, and another 5 min to install the new mount and install it back in the car.

Removing the mount from the car is easy. You just jack up the fornt of the car, put a jack stand on the passanger side pinch welds. Then put a 2x4 on the jack, put it under the oil pan, and jack up the engine just slightly. Then there are 3 17mm bolts, you'll need a deep socket since the stud sticks out a bit. Then theres another bolt on the side of the mount, its 17mm. Lastly just remove the metal bracket on the top of the mount, 14mm bolt and remove hte mount completely.

My mount was really bad so it was all torn up. All I did was get a hammer and gave it one good wack which caused most of the center to fall right out. After I got the center out I got a sawzill and made 4 cuts through the remaining rubber and the rings. Just spread the 4 cuts so it makes an X. Then I took a chisel and hammer and went to town. It started bending/folding the metal sleeve then it just fell out completely.

Now I got my Prothane mounts ready. I put them in the freezer over night and then some, about 15 hours total. Freezing them keeps them from expanding and I found it really easy to get them in. Just put the mount in slightly and beat on it with a rubber malet. I did the same to the other side. After doing that, I put it in my bench vise to make sure its completely seated. I used some WD40 to help get it perfectly seated. Then I greased up the brass sleeve and screw, and just put it back in the car.

Honestly it wasnt that bad, it took me just a little over 15 min to replace the passanger side. Im sure it wouldve went by faster if the blade for the sawzill wasnt dull. So some advice, use a sawzill, it will be REALLY easy to get it out.

·
Premium Member
3,084 Posts
Do you know if anybody contacted Prothane regards the wider sleeve opening for the front mount?

I'll give them a call right now & see what they say.

Its like they thought the front retaining bolt was thicker! Just tried & their closed today, will try again monday morning!

Will let you know what I come up with! (They should just send us correct sleeves, you'd think). LOL

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know if anybody contacted Prothane regards the wider sleeve opening for the front mount?

I'll give them a call right now & see what they say.

Its like they thought the front retaining bolt was thicker! Just tried & their closed today, will try again monday morning!

Will let you know what I come up with! (They should just send us correct sleeves, you'd think). LOL
Actually I did contact them before ordering them and they called me back a couple times. They told me their going to put out a bulletin and research it and will give me a call back when their done. Well, that was about a month ago and they still havent called me back. Someone on here said they used the stock sleeve and it fit inside the prothane mount, I'll check and verify it. I have no idea why Prothane thought that bolt was thicker either :nuts:.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well heres an update, I finally got around to taking more pics. First off, the problem with the front motor mount seems to be fixed. The sleeve is the EXACT same size as the stock sleeve and it went in smoothly with a secure fit. Here is whats left of 2 of my motor mount metal sleeves. All I did was cut a couple slits into the sleeve with a sawzall and then hit it with a chizel and hammer. Came right out. I really noticed the car to jump a lot more when I touch the gas, no more lag. With this mod you just have to adjust to being more sensative on the gas.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
I really like these mounts, i installed them on a fellow members car and they were amazing, i especially loved how 2 of the mounts were in two pieces and extremely easy to install

·
V8 > 3G
2,717 Posts
Well heres an update, I finally got around to taking more pics. First off, the problem with the front motor mount seems to be fixed. The sleeve is the EXACT same size as the stock sleeve and it went in smoothly with a secure fit.
I dont think you know what you're talking about. If the mounts/sleeves are the same ones you installed as pictured above, then there is no way that the problem has been fixed.

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
i think what he meant is that he punched out the rubber bit but the metal *shim/sleeve* is the same size as the prothane mount, so he had to hack it and beat it into submission to fit the prothane mount. I tried it that way to, but had to do the same thing.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
i think what he meant is that he punched out the rubber bit but the metal *shim/sleeve* is the same size as the prothane mount, so he had to hack it and beat it into submission to fit the prothane mount. I tried it that way to, but had to do the same thing.
:scratch:

Now I think I found problem everyone is having with the front mount, Im guessing its the front mount since its sleeve is thinner then the rest. This is what is probably causing the wear and tear from the bolt beating the sleeve.

I thought this is where the problem was...with the sleeve that goes around the bolt itself, not the sleeve that has to be taken out in order to get the prothane inserts in...:ugh2:

1 - 20 of 29 Posts