Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I drove through a puddle (had to... only way out of parking lot) I made the mistake of hitting it a little harder than I should have and all of a sudden my car starts shuddering and acting funny. I pull into my parking lot less than a quarter of a mile away and it starts to act normal. I park and then it starts shuddering again during idle.

My first thought was hydrolock but I don't know if that that's the real culprit. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Chris

·
Registered
141 Posts
Sometimes after splashing through a patch of water, the crankshaft position sensor will be wet and cause the engine to misfire. If you were to have the DTCs scanned right now, you might have a P0300 (Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected) code pending.

Let the car dry out a bit and it might go away. If it doesn't, then I'd take it in to be checked out.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Should I just let it sit for a while then try to crank my engine?
From what I have read here most people who get misfires due to a wet CPS just let the car dry/sit for a day or two and it starts running fine again. Hopefully that will work for you as well. I wouldn't think this is related to the intake at all, unless you the water came up to your windows while you went through the puddle.

·
Registered
750 Posts
you may have gotten water in your distributor, I have had this problem and pulled the cap off dried it out and put it back in and still had the problem. I later removed the whole distributor and found that i had gotten water behind there also.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
you may have gotten water in your distributor
What type of 3G are you driving (I4 or V6)? Was the puddle more than 1 or 2 feet deep? I assumed this was a normal puddle under 12" deep.... If a V6 and less than 2 feet deep of a puddle then there is no way that your distibutor was submerged. I'd look elsewhere for the problem.

What SES codes are you throwing?

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SO I just went and checked my engine... didn't turn it over but checked fluids and looked for moisture in my intake... other then probably needing to change my oil soon, things look fine. I'll be getting it towed tomorrow to have a professional check it out but as of right now I don't know what the issue is.

We'll see what they say.

thanks for the help so far. if there is anything else it could be let me know.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh and I'm driving a v6 auto... the puddle was about a foot deep. Other cars (albeit not lowered at all) were driving through it perfectly fine. as of the last time I had the car on, no errors were popping up. my check engine light didnt even come on.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
dude you have a CAI? TAke the CAI off at the MAF and let it dry. EVen a drop of water at the maf will fuck up the readings and cause issues. Also check all the electronics to make sure they are dry. If you have the I4, check the coils, the V6 check the distrubotor to make sure no water is in it.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
dude you have a CAI? TAke the CAI off at the MAF and let it dry. EVen a drop of water at the maf will fuck up the readings and cause issues. Also check all the electronics to make sure they are dry. If you have the I4, check the coils, the V6 check the distrubotor to make sure no water is in it.
I think you meant cold air? and no I dont... engine is bone stock.
oh and I'm driving a v6 auto...

When you say you hit the car a little harder than you should have, just how hard (fast) are you talking about? Also, if the car is able to be driven, head over to Autozone and have them check it for codes...it might save you a towing charge and a diagnosis fee...:ugh2:

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
towing is free and I'd rather not turn the engine just in case. no cold air intake. I hit it going about 15-20 miles per hour.

I'll check the electronics and distributer before I take it over. Hopefully it was just something got wet and temporarily screwed things up... odds are against me at this point LOL

Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't been on here for a long while and I now remember why I chose to join this forum.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Honestly, I don't see how it could have gotten hydrolocked without a CAI being installed. Why are you scared to try and start the engine? The fact that there is no SES light makes me think that you should just let the car idle for 20 minutes. Either the engine will dry off from the heat or a SES should be thrown, which will be a GREAT help when it comes to determining why the car is shuddering and/or acting funny. I dont think mild shudders will hurt anything... now if its violent and vibrating like freaking mad then that could be a different story (but one would think an SES code would appear for sure at that point).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Took it to the repair shop and it came up clean. Started fine. Must have gotten a sensor wet or something. Who knows. All that matters is that it's working now.

Thanks for the help.

Chris

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hmm that might be it....

Well I spoke too soon.

Alright here are the symptoms:
Car shaking from the engine
Sounds like my fish tank when it couldnt get water (water pump out?????)
Overheating. The engine is running really hot.

Any opinions?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts