Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just purchased an '01 GT last week that was in near mint condition except for the stereo. I Have yet to have time to look into it yet, due to working late hours and not wanting to mess with it in the dark, but I was wondering if anyone could assist me in troubleshooting the problem. I have learned a lot from the forums and feel I can handle it on my own, but if anyone has had this problem, or one similar, assistance would be much appreciated!

The problem: Infinity stereo with 4 disk changer & cassette deck works but I am only getting sound from the center dash speaker and tweeters. I assume it could be an issue with the connection to the HU, or possibly the stock amp. My assumption is that the amp powers the other 4 speakers in the car, is this correct? So if it is either not connected to the HU correctly, fried, or has a blown fuse, I would only get sound from the dash...?

Has anyone had an experience like this? Before I go removing the pass. seat to check the amp connections/fuses, I figured I'd ask.

I also plan on installing an aftermarket HU this weekend as well. I already purchased the adapter and will be running an amp with 2 subs from the HU as well...Will both amps work fine together...Stock amp for infinity system and aftermarket for the subs?

Any assistance is appreciated. Please bear with me...this is my first post here and my first experience with an eclipse of any model/year.

ANOTHER NOTE: When I asked the dealer, he stated that the system didn't work when it arrived on his lot, he had to remove stereo to recover S# to get radio code...Once he activated the radio, the sound was like that. This makes me assume either he pulled something loose, caused a short, or that the previous owner had an aftermarket system installed and replaced with stock system before selling/trading....

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
The problem: Infinity stereo with 4 disk changer & cassette deck works but I am only getting sound from the center dash speaker and tweeters. I assume it could be an issue with the connection to the HU, or possibly the stock amp. My assumption is that the amp powers the other 4 speakers in the car, is this correct? So if it is either not connected to the HU correctly, fried, or has a blown fuse, I would only get sound from the dash...?
The infinity amp powers all 7 speakers. If only a couple speakers are working, then some of the channels on the amp may be dead.

I also plan on installing an aftermarket HU this weekend as well. I already purchased the adapter and will be running an amp with 2 subs from the HU as well...Will both amps work fine together...Stock amp for infinity system and aftermarket for the subs?
Yes they are independent of each other and will work fine.

Any assistance is appreciated. Please bear with me...this is my first post here and my first experience with an eclipse of any model/year.
Welcome!

ANOTHER NOTE: When I asked the dealer, he stated that the system didn't work when it arrived on his lot, he had to remove stereo to recover S# to get radio code...Once he activated the radio, the sound was like that. This makes me assume either he pulled something loose, caused a short, or that the previous owner had an aftermarket system installed and replaced with stock system before selling/trading....
Sounds like that is the case. Check the woofers and rear 6x9's too see if they have been changed. Also check behind the HU to see if any new speaker wire has been run to that location.

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Check the DIN connection behind the unit and where it meets the amp under the passenger seat.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts