Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have a leak around the fitting in my exhaust for my EGT and I wanted to know if anyone knew if there was anything on the threads to help it seal or how you guys sealed yours into your exhaust. I was also thinking of maybe using silver solder to seal the fitting. It's making the o2 read lean at light throttle.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
I don't think that silver solder will withstand the heat. You could use some exhaust repair epoxy, but that fitting would be there for good.

·
Wheel Man
171 Posts
That might be too permanent at that heat.
Is it actually leaking through the threads or around the bung?
If it is leaking through the thread then you might have the wrong thread pitch on the bung. Either you can change the bung to match the sensor thread or you can wrap it with header wrap (temp fix).

stylez said:
Thread lock

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
Yeah I remember Tearstone had a problem where his EGT sensor was leaking around the bung, instead of the threads. When he installed it, he did not have enough of the sensor in the exhaust stream, and he was getting low tempurature readings. He tried to take it apart and put it back together. However, the crush washer was already crushed. He ended up having to buy a new crush washer.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My pyrometer didn,t have a crush washer. it's a 1/4npt bung and the sensor goes through the middle of it and locks in with a set screw. I think im going to pull the bank and take it to a welding shop and have a pysical bung welded in so the sensor bung has a more thread area to seal against.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if you have it in the manifold where it should be a welding shop will be very leary with welding cast steel if you can persuade them to try it at all. they will not want to risk ruining your manifold by melting to much or popping an air bubble in the casting. now you say it is an npt thread wich means it is a tapered diameter thread so if you are leaking around the threads just tighten it 1/4 turn or so, but if you are leaking where your sensor slides in and has a set screwthen maybe you need a new bung with tighter clearances for the sensor, either way good luck it would be interesting to hear what the problem actually was.

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
fasteclipse00 said:
Yeah I remember Tearstone had a problem where his EGT sensor was leaking around the bung, instead of the threads. When he installed it, he did not have enough of the sensor in the exhaust stream, and he was getting low tempurature readings. He tried to take it apart and put it back together. However, the crush washer was already crushed. He ended up having to buy a new crush washer.
It wasn't leaking, but yeah the sensor was not far enough into the fitting like it should have been. The crushnut should be 'crushed' around the biggest part of the sensor.

Also you will get low temperature readings if you tap it way down the pipe too. Exhaust gases cool fast if it's not wrapped.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just a thought . . .

Yes, ideally you want the the EGT probe as close to the exahust ports as possible for accurate readings of the temps. However, unless you are using EGT's for tuning that isn't necessarilly that important. I mistakenly tapped my EGT in teh downpipe (stupid guage instructsions!!!!). However, after some research I have determined that you can still use the gauge for what you need it for . . . deviation from the norm to indicate a problem. Just make note of what the normal operating range is based on where you have the EGT tapped and if the temps move substantially out of that range you could have an issue that requires investigation.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Tearstone said:
It wasn't leaking, but yeah the sensor was not far enough into the fitting like it should have been. The crushnut should be 'crushed' around the biggest part of the sensor.

Also you will get low temperature readings if you tap it way down the pipe too. Exhaust gases cool fast if it's not wrapped.

My problem isn't the temps it reads. It is it is making the front O2 read too lean. I have tapped 4in. from the head on the #4 cyl. My temps range between 800,900F-1400F.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts