Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
F.U.B.A.R.
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys you have been very helpful last few times I asked a question so I figured who better to ask again :) I finally installed my Q6600 it has the G0 stepping, but I seem to be having some problems and questions.

#1. The processor I just replaced was the E6600 and when I used core temp or even everest both of the cores would be very close in temperatures difference of maybe 1-2 degrees C. Now with this Q6600 when I run core temp I get 2 cores running at 44c idle and 2 cores running 34-38c idle. Is this normal for a Q6600 two have such different temps for 2 cores I know it's basically 2xE6600 but just wondering if perhaps my heatsink/spread is on wrong (I use watercooling btw and my ambient temps are like 76F).

#2. I tried to overclock the processor but so far the max I could get it was 2.7Ghz and even then the computer would not boot up every time. I'm thinking the problem is my 650w power supply.

EVGA 680i mobo
Q6600 g0 stepping
8800 GTS 640mb
650w power supply
2 dvd drives
2 hard drive 80 gig raptor/500 WD
1 water pump
2 radiator fans + 1 case fan

·
Rooaaaaaaarrrrrrr
987 Posts
First off, yes it is quite possible that two cores could be that much lower.

Secondly, what are you using for your cpu block? I know you stated you were watercooled, but which brand/model are you using? Also, what is your over-all cpu temp?

The 650w power supply, should be enough to power it all. I have a 650 pushing a amd 6000x2 oc'd to 3.2, with 8800gtx oc'd (don't remember how much), plus two sata drives, 320mm Radiator with a total of 6 fans undervolted, plus pump and various other items.

You might need to overvolt the Q6600 some to get higher. Try that, and also make sure that you have a good set of ram in there. That can inhibit ocing of the processor.

·
F.U.B.A.R.
2,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
ZALMAN ZM - WB4 Water Cooling System Block

Over all temp I only have nvidia motherboard temp reader for that and it says 36c.

Ram I have 2 1gig's of Buffalo Firestix which are ddr 800 but overclock all the way up to 1200. Timings 5-5-5-15.

I redid the paste and the temps are still diff between the two sets of cores but they dropped 4c across the board.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Hey guys you have been very helpful last few times I asked a question so I figured who better to ask again :) I finally installed my Q6600 it has the G0 stepping, but I seem to be having some problems and questions.

#1. The processor I just replaced was the E6600 and when I used core temp or even everest both of the cores would be very close in temperatures difference of maybe 1-2 degrees C. Now with this Q6600 when I run core temp I get 2 cores running at 44c idle and 2 cores running 34-38c idle. Is this normal for a Q6600 two have such different temps for 2 cores I know it's basically 2xE6600 but just wondering if perhaps my heatsink/spread is on wrong (I use watercooling btw and my ambient temps are like 76F).
That's completely normal. You can try re-seating the waterblock or making sure the thermal compound is applied more evenly on the IHS, but even so you will have some variance. I'd let the thermal compound set in for another week before trying to tear it apart again. Also remember, the first two cores are usually going to be loaded more often in daily usage than the last two, so they're going to be a bit hotter anyways.

#2. I tried to overclock the processor but so far the max I could get it was 2.7Ghz and even then the computer would not boot up every time. I'm thinking the problem is my 650w power supply.

EVGA 680i mobo
Q6600 g0 stepping
8800 GTS 640mb
650w power supply
2 dvd drives
2 hard drive 80 gig raptor/500 WD
1 water pump
2 radiator fans + 1 case fan

As Roary stated, it might be time to start giving the CPU more voltage. Majority of the Q6600s, regardless of stepping, seems to need at least 1.35v to make it over the 3GHz barrier and most will sit at 1.4-1.5v running 3.6GHz. I've seen one or two Q6600 that managed to hit over 3GHz without voltage increase, but that instance is very, very rare. I didn't check what default voltages your RAM runs on, but I would not advise running them over 2.2v unless you have some sort of active cooling (ex. 80mm fan) over them.

·
Rooaaaaaaarrrrrrr
987 Posts
ZALMAN ZM - WB4 Water Cooling System Block

Over all temp I only have nvidia motherboard temp reader for that and it says 36c.

Ram I have 2 1gig's of Buffalo Firestix which are ddr 800 but overclock all the way up to 1200. Timings 5-5-5-15.

I redid the paste and the temps are still diff between the two sets of cores but they dropped 4c across the board.
The reason that I asked what block was because some just simply do not run on quad cores very well. One of the best blocks out there for the money right now is the Fuzion. However, even with the fuzion, the IHS, does not completely touch all of the cores. So instead people are actually "Bowing" their fuzions to increase the contact area between the IHS and the cores.

If you would like to know more go here: [H]ard|Forum - Powered by vBulletin and search through their water cooling forum. It has a lot of great information. There is another great watercooling site but it escapes me right now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts