Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've only been driving stick for 1 month and I'm already better than two of my friends at it. But I want to have more knowledge about drag racing.

PLEASE CRITIQUE MY DRAG TECHNIQUES

I plan on taking my car to the drag this summer(snowing alot right now lol)

-Launch at about 3500-4000, letting out the clutch a bit slower so tires don't spin

-Shift at redline

-Then i figure wait with clutch in until the rpms drop back down to 4500 because isn't that where maximum hp/torque is?

-When it gets back down to 4500 floor that sucka and repeat.

So tell me what you would change in my technique please

·
Registered
61 Posts
you just need to practice, it's the best thing you can do to get faster at shifting. What do you mean by "letting" it get back down to 4500? if your peak power is higher in rpms than where the engine automatically goes after shifting then you just need to put a little gas on while shifting

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
I've only been driving stick for 1 month and I'm already better than two of my friends at it. But I want to have more knowledge about drag racing.

PLEASE CRITIQUE MY DRAG TECHNIQUES

I plan on taking my car to the drag this summer(snowing alot right now lol)

-Launch at about 3500-4000, letting out the clutch a bit slower so tires don't spin

-Shift at redline

-Then i figure wait with clutch in until the rpms drop back down to 4500 because isn't that where maximum hp/torque is?

-When it gets back down to 4500 floor that sucka and repeat.

So tell me what you would change in my technique please
Well a couple things:

1. Launch is going to depend on how well the track sticks. Also if you massively slip the clutch at 4k, you may overheat it and glaze the clutch.

2. You should generally shift at redline for the best times. However depending on how much higher the redline is than the HP peak, it may slow you down. I'd seek advice from other RS/GS owners on the best shift points.

3. And this is where your plan start to make less sense. You don't want to wait for the revs to drop to a point with the clutch in. For one, it wastes time. For two, once you engage the clutch the revs you are at in the next gear will depend on wheel speed, not engine speed. Just make the shift as quick as you can and get back into WOT. That will give you the best times.

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
Don't forget to take out the 100lbs of spair/subs in the trunk = )

some also recommend lowering front tire pressure around 20. Search option will bring wonders ^^

·
NUFF SAID
1,497 Posts
lower tire pressure to about 20-25, keep your rpms at about 2700 and slip the clutch with a bit of speed but don't dump it and shift at 6 this will provied the most consistent and best times

·
TxTuning.com
6,814 Posts
The purpose of shifting at redline is when you shift, you are closest back into the powerband.

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I know it is an old post but I would like to add this.

Just never let off the gas. Let it bang the rev limiter while you shift so when you dump the clutch you get the added surge while the clutch drags down the engine. You have to have a good clutch to do this and it wont last long if you do it all the time. A couple times wont kill it though.

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

Just never let off the gas. Let it bang the rev limiter while you shift so when you dump the clutch you get the added surge while the clutch drags down the engine. You have to have a good clutch to do this and it wont last long if you do it all the time. A couple times wont kill it though.
I believe thats called powershifting. I don't know if the benifit is worth the possible loss of my clutch

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts

You don't want to bang the limiter, that's just going to slow you down. You want to flat foot shift quick enough so that you don't hit the limiter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts