Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Damn I look good
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well since I've been haing this problem where it says my hard disk system is corrupted and whenever I try to restore the thing like it says it wont. Can I just get a new 120gb hdd that I see one sale at diferent places and pop it in there or is there more to it? The hdd is cheaper than the $150 Sony wants to replace my system plus I'd have more space. Or will I still get the error saying my hard disk system is corrupt?

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
You can replace it with any 2.5" SATA laptop type hdd (not the 3.5" that goes into desktop PC) and it won't void your warranty. The manual even has instructions on how to do that. The current drive in there is a 5400RPM drive. You can put a 7200rpm drive in there, but remember it'll increase heat and the performance increase isn't going to be significantly noticeable.

·
Damn I look good
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, but when it says that my hard disk system is corrupted, should it just be a matter of replacing the hdd? Or is that in the PS3 itself? And all I would need to do if that was the case would be to just pop the new hdd in? No other work or installings of any software or such? I dont care about performance really, just getting my PS3 up and running.

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
Well, nobody would know if it's just the HDD considering we don't know what it has gone through. If the software is just saying the HDD is bad, then take it for what it's worth. You could always call Sony up if it's under warranty and send it back. In fact, if it's under warranty don't buy a new HDD yourself, just have Sony replace it.

·
Damn I look good
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it just says that the hard disk system is corrupted and needs to be restored but no matter how mayn timesit tries to restore itself it doesn't and I just keep getting that message as soon as I tur the system on.

I called sony and he said to take the hdd out and put it back in but it didn't work soo he said send it in for 150, yet I can find hdd cheaper and faster around town if that's the problem. i I have only had it like 4 months, someone else gog it for me and I don't know where it came from nor do I have the reciept. im thinking walmart though but it has a lot a stickers and dates on the box, all this year but non of the stickers ofr barcodes has a store name

·
"I dunno" guy
2,555 Posts
If you don't have a receipt then you're out of luck I suppose. Basically you have a PS3 with no warranty. Get a drive and stick it in, see if it works. If it does, you're done. If it fails again, then you'll be out the fee for the drive and have to pay Sony to fix it. Ask the person who gave it for you for the receipt.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Go buy a 2.5" SATA HDD from any place that has a 30 day return policy. Install that HDD. If the PS3 still can't format or reckognize the drive then return the new HDD and mail the PS3 in for service. Simple.

·
Damn I look good
941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Replaced the hard drive and it works fine. 120gb Fujisu for 80dollars

1 - 8 of 8 Posts