Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I may be able to acquire an Xtech kit from a guy that is selling it in the For Sale section, but the problem is he is using Cali manifolds. Being a fed-spec, I'm sure I will have to modify mine it in order to get it to work. Tearstone/Rulez, I noticed you guys are using Fed manifold on your cars, and I saw a pic of it:

My question is: What exactly did you guys do to get the fed manifold to work? Change flange, extend piping, etc.? Any help with this is greatly appreciated, because I really want to take the F/I route. (Sorry Matt)

EDIT: I am still buying Matt's head/exhaust, but I am currently trying to check out my options for the future.

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
We drove to Iowa and had Chris at xtech make our kit from the get go with Fed Spec manifolds.

You will either have to get yourself a set of cali spec manifolds, or get the pipes you plan to buy custom fit to your existing manifolds. I think this can be easily done by taking your car to a performance shop that does that kind of work. You may need new flanges though, but you can check with http://www.roadraceengineering.com for the DIY parts.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:lol: I was afraid you'd tell me to get the Cali manifolds, because I personally think my sink plumbing flows better than them. I may go ahead and get the kit first, then talk to the my local performance shop to see if they can somehow re-do some of the piping to get it to work. If it looks like too big of a hassle, I guess I'll pick up the Cali ones then. :ugh:

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
Thai3g_Eclipse said:
:lol: I was afraid you'd tell me to get the Cali manifolds, because I personally think my sink plumbing flows better than them. I may go ahead and get the kit first, then talk to the my local performance shop to see if they can somehow re-do some of the piping to get it to work. If it looks like too big of a hassle, I guess I'll pick up the Cali ones then. :ugh:
Understandable, you do get more torque out of the cali spec ones and they manage the weight of the whole turbo assembly better than the fed spec ones do. One of these days I expect our manifolds to crack under the stress some day. Fed spec manifolds are two pressed sheets of metal welded together, whereas cali spec manifolds are all cast. You could also port the cali spec manifolds out. Rippmods tried that, but I don't know what their findings were on that though.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tearstone said:
Understandable, you do get more torque out of the cali spec ones and they manage the weight of the whole turbo assembly better than the fed spec ones do. One of these days I expect our manifolds to crack under the stress some day. Fed spec manifolds are two pressed sheets of metal welded together, whereas cali spec manifolds are all cast. You could also port the cali spec manifolds out. Rippmods tried that, but I don't know what their findings were on that though.
Thank you for your advice, ol' Great Master of 3G F/I. :bowdown:

I'll post here and tell you guys if I get that kit.

·
Zed oh six
6,234 Posts
I personally dont think the Fed Spec manifolds are as weak as Tearstone says, but neither of us have proof to backup any claim for or against them.

Ross says the CaliSpec manifolds didnt flow for crap, which may be true, but they are god for 5.8psi. That has been demonstrated already by many. I say get some CaliSpec manifolds for now, then look into maybe getting some custom manifolds made later down the road.

·
Lance Corporal
3,953 Posts
I'll trade you my Cali-spec manifolds for your fed ones. I might even be able to drive out to you and do the swap, or you could drive to me, or we could meet at someplace in the middle.
Ross

·
Registered
200 Posts
I really don't understand why there's so much animosity towards the cali manifolds. We're making 320 w.h.p. with them and the only thing stopping us from making substantially more is self control. The fact is, they are as good a manifold design as an other cast manifold out there. Sure, there is room for improvement, but they will support more horsepower than several of the other parts on the car can handle.

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
McLarenross said:
I'll trade you my Cali-spec manifolds for your fed ones. I might even be able to drive out to you and do the swap, or you could drive to me, or we could meet at someplace in the middle.
Ross
If I do get this kit, I'll contact you right away. I can't drive though, so we can just ship them to each other, and being in TX, the shipping will be cheap. But yes, if I get this kit, I'll gladly trade you mine for yours. Thanks.

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
A.A.I. said:
I really don't understand why there's so much animosity towards the cali manifolds. We're making 320 w.h.p. with them and the only thing stopping us from making substantially more is self control. The fact is, they are as good a manifold design as an other cast manifold out there. Sure, there is room for improvement, but they will support more horsepower than several of the other parts on the car can handle.
The main concern of the cali spec manifolds is that they do run #4 hotter than normal. Rippmods allegedly tested this when they were developing the SDS kit. They tried, stock cast manifolds, ported cast manifolds and tubular headers and found they were able to lower #4 temps the best scavenging heat away faster with the tubular manifolds. Granted, that's just Ross's word on the board, what did you conclude in your early testing of the manifolds versus engine temps?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tearstone said:
The main concern of the cali spec manifolds is that they do run #4 hotter than normal. Rippmods allegedly tested this when they were developing the SDS kit. They tried, stock cast manifolds, ported cast manifolds and tubular headers and found they were able to lower #4 temps the best scavenging heat away faster with the tubular manifolds. Granted, that's just Ross's word on the board, what did you conclude in your early testing of the manifolds versus engine temps?
Spark plugs don't lie. I've pulled the plugs numerous times after running the engine very hard and they are nearly identical from cylinder to cylinder. Rezlo's explanation for the number four problems is the only one that I agree with. He is a very smart individual and is speaking from experience and not from a sales standpoint. I have my own opinions on why RIPP requires a header with their kits but I'm not going to voice them on here.

·
Kampfbereit
17,854 Posts
A.A.I. said:
Spark plugs don't lie. I've pulled the plugs numerous times after running the engine very hard and they are nearly identical from cylinder to cylinder. Rezlo's explanation for the number four problems is the only one that I agree with. He is a very smart individual and is speaking from experience and not from a sales standpoint. I have my own opinions on why RIPP requires a header with their kits but I'm not going to voice them on here.
I agree with what Rezlo said as well, but it is still an undeniable fact that #4 runs hotter than the rest of the cylinders and according to Ross through there testing they were able to bring the temps down enough to maximize the amount of boost "safely" without some of the shortcomings a turbo charger setup with cali spec manifolds will face boosting too much. You are primarily selling a stock turbo kit for a stock engine.

I'm not going to defend Rippmods or anything, but don't you at least give them some credit for that testing despite your thoughts of why they use tubular headers to scavenge the heat away from the engine.

I'm not knocking cali spec manifolds or anything, but I think there is some merit to this thought because maybe using the cali spec manifolds increases the probability progressively with the amount of boost to by pulling the crown off of your #4 piston, no?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Tearstone said:
I agree with what Rezlo said as well, but it is still an undeniable fact that #4 runs hotter than the rest of the cylinders and according to Ross through there testing they were able to bring the temps down enough to maximize the amount of boost "safely" without some of the shortcomings a turbo charger setup with cali spec manifolds will face boosting too much. You are primarily selling a stock turbo kit for a stock engine.

I'm not going to defend Rippmods or anything, but don't you at least give them some credit for that testing despite your thoughts of why they use tubular headers to scavenge the heat away from the engine.

I'm not knocking cali spec manifolds or anything, but I think there is some merit to this thought because maybe using the cali spec manifolds increases the probability progressively with the amount of boost to by pulling the crown off of your #4 piston, no?
Russ, check your p.m.'s

·
Registered
13,210 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Whitevis said:
I had a fed spec Eclipse. But when I put my turbo on I had to change to Cali manifolds.

Chris
Yeah, I think that is the most convienent choice. I guess I'll see if the seller is willing to give up his manifolds too, since at least he ported his already. Thank you for your inputs, Tearstone, Rulez, AAI and Whitevis.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.