Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I have a 02 eclipse GS and I have got a evo-II catback with high flow cat but somehow i want the sound to be much louder than wat it is now....do I have to do something with the resonator??i mean do i have to remove it...???

Thanks,
KK.

·
Registered
44 Posts
You will get a little more rumble with no resonators since you already have a high flow cat. I did that to mine, but I still have the two precats wich Im sure its robbing me more grrr sound, I don't want to mess with them until I know how to deal the O2 sensors. Mine is a Cali spec, so check yours, do a search to find out if yours is one, or if you see a heat shield (small catalytic converter) right in front by your oil dip stick then you probably have Cali. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Hello I have a 02 eclipse GS and I have got a evo-II catback with high flow cat but somehow i want the sound to be much louder than wat it is now....do I have to do something with the resonator??i mean do i have to remove it...???

Thanks,
KK.
There are a number of variables that play into the sound of the exhaust. I forget off the top of my head what the cut-off was for all Eclipses being Cali specs, but if you do have one, you're now running a conventional cat and a hi-flow cat. The front cat is probably doing more to quiet your car than the resonator. Typically, resonators help produce a low, mellow tone instead of having the riced-out "pissed off bumble bee in a coffee can" sound that the Honda guys love so much. Removing the resonator may increase the sound level, but will probably also make it more high-pitched.

I personally have a CMF header, hi-flow cat (just one), and Invidia cat-back. Additionally, I replaced the little resonator that CMF provided with a larger one, so my system has 1 cat, 2 resonators, and the muffler. Despite having the header, I don't really have any rasp, I have good back-pressure, a nice deep sound, and when I mash the go-pedal people can hear me coming from a ways away...but, if I'm not heavy on the gas then it's actually not too obnoxiously loud to where I'd be annoyed all the time and people wouldn't want to ride in the car...:bigthumb:

You will get a little more rumble with no resonators since you already have a high flow cat. I did that to mine, but I still have the two precats wich Im sure its robbing me more grrr sound, I don't want to mess with them until I know how to deal the O2 sensors. Mine is a Cali spec, so check yours, do a search to find out if yours is one, or if you see a heat shield (small catalytic converter) right in front by your oil dip stick then you probably have Cali. Good luck!
He has a GS (4G64 - 4 cylinder)...the dipstick is in the back...:ugh2:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts