Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I got a DOHC head swap as my summer project :)
Now, I got a question. I have currently 70432 miles on my engine. Right now car is in storage, but I'm not sure when I'm going to start driving it again and how many more miles it'll get untill the summer. So, my question is, is it ok for me to use the engine that have that much miles on it? Engine is in good shape. This is my first car that have that much miles ( usually I trade after 60k, but I like 3G to damn much :D ). Or, should I go ahead and buy fully built 2.4L Race block? ( Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: Evo VIII & IX :: Engine :: Short Blocks :: Slowboy Racing :: 4G64 2.4L Short Block :: 2.4L EVO VIII STG III Race Block

Also, would this one work ? ( Slowboy Racing, Inc. :: Evo VIII & IX :: Engine :: Short Blocks :: Slowboy Racing :: 4G63 2.3 Stroker Blocks :: SBR Stage 3 Evo Stroker Short Block )

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pulling the block can turn into a huge pain. I would recommend put the head on and see what you think of it. The major obstacle is going to be the timing belt. You are going to have a whore of a time replacing it with the engine in the bay. It is possible but good luck.
M.f paying that much for a short block. You can go to any machine shop and they will punch out your block .020 over for about 25 dollars a hole. Then buy a set of Wiesco Pistons off of ebay for around $450ish. The rods might cost you a bit but no more than a few hundred.
The only thing is your car will have to be decommissioned for the entire time that they have your block. I went to a junk yard and pulled out a 4g64 block out of a galant. This allowed me to drive my car while I built the engine. Also make sure you do your research with pistons because if you use the evo head vs. the Hyundai or KIA, you will have to get pistons with reliefs cut into them to allow for valve clearance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts