Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I’m glad to be here. I have a few questions, and concerns about the Mitsubishi 3g GT. I am 18 years old and I’m looking to buy a used car next summer. I will buy the car with my own money, I will also pay for everything that the car needs .Just so you guys know I do not know much about cars, I know how to take care of them but nothing in regards to technical stuff. After doing lots of research I came to the conclusion that I would love to buy a 3g GT. I have heard mix things about these cars.

Last week I went to a mechanic that is good friends with my family. I asked him about if a Mitsubishi Eclipse would be a good car, right away he cut me off and said “no” I asked him what was wrong with the Eclipse’s he said that parts are expensive. Is this true? I don’t mind paying $20-50 more for parts. Can you guys give me some insight in how much more expensive parts are? I know the v6 can be a pain to work on at times because there is not much room to work with, I don’t mind to pay an extra 1 or 2 hours of labor.

I was thinking of buying a cat back exhaust for the car, the Invidia N1(resonated) . What do you guys think? Is it too loud? It’s just a bolt on so I don’t need to worry about buying extra things for the installation? It looks exactly like the one in the picture.

http://www.redline360.com/image/cac...-eclipse-gt-v6-HS00ME1GTT-catback-228x228.jpg

I would love to read what you guys have to say, also tell me if there is anything else I need to know about these cars. Thanks for your time.

·
Turboed! Trying to t
388 Posts
Its not a bad car in terms of reliability at all. Over the course of 2 years and 70000KM I've had one or two issues? Cheap under 25$ fixes each. Of course i did the work myself, but still.

Bit things to take note are timing belt which can be 500-1000 after labour and parts. And clutch (if standard) for another grand or more (said and done).

Otherwise I would make sure its in good shape, No rust on strut towers, or much of any rust anywhere. Depends what your looking at and how much you want to spend. You can spend 2 grand on a rusted beater or 3-4 grand on a mint shape eclipse.

I found parts cheap, as do most members on the forum. Some members offer their services through which they go to the yard and pull/sell the parts. Fairly cheap. This generation of the eclipse is nothing like the previous generations. This car has style, reliability, and gets an ass whooping everytime you take off from the line. Don't buy it for power. Thats forsure.

Catbacks sound great, but I have a turboed i4... so can't comment on the v6 in any way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Its not a bad car in terms of reliability at all. Over the course of 2 years and 70000KM I've had one or two issues? Cheap under 25$ fixes each. Of course i did the work myself, but still.

Bit things to take note are timing belt which can be 500-1000 after labour and parts. And clutch (if standard) for another grand or more (said and done).

Otherwise I would make sure its in good shape, No rust on strut towers, or much of any rust anywhere. Depends what your looking at and how much you want to spend. You can spend 2 grand on a rusted beater or 3-4 grand on a mint shape eclipse.

I found parts cheap, as do most members on the forum. Some members offer their services through which they go to the yard and pull/sell the parts. Fairly cheap. This generation of the eclipse is nothing like the previous generations. This car has style, reliability, and gets an ass whooping everytime you take off from the line. Don't buy it for power. Thats forsure.

Catbacks sound great, but I have a turboed i4... so can't comment on the v6 in any way.
Pretty much what he said as far as spend the extra money on a nice eclipse and not a rusted one. As well as the timing belt and pump. I have a 2003 GT with 93K on it. Its my 2nd car and I bought it with 83K on it back in feb. I've had to do the belt, pump, clutch, brakes, motor mounts and some other stuff. In fixes I've probably spent 2K to make the car perfect. Its a pretty fun and quick car with nice looks. Mine almost a year later has A LOT of money into it in mods which gives it a nice look. Definitely love this car and would say do it right the first time. I waited nearly a month to find the perfect black GT. Don't settle for a damaged high mileage eclipse and you'll be happy the whole way.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Parts for this car are cheaper than my little brothers piece of shit Hyundai...

This motor is easy to work on and understand, ask your mechanic about a 3000gt...same motor...

ke others said, rust is your enemy in the rear towers, but they are cheap and reliable and easy to find parts at a junkyard or buy a broken one for less than $1000 to always have parts handy.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
It's a decent and inexpensive first car, the parts for the 3G are not expensive at all. The 3G changed from the 1&2g in that it traded the potential [inexpensive] speediness for reliability, and I would say these cars are pretty reliable, especially the 4 cyl. The biggest concerns for these cars are potentially rusted strut towers and the timing belt. If either of these fail your car is totaled.

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
Expensive parts? I thought they were on the low-end myself.

The V6 exhaust is already pretty good sounding to be honest, but if you want to change it it will only sound meaner and deeper than it would on the i4. Invidia is pretty loud, if you want somethign more tamed you'll have to put a resonator on that or I would recommend magnaflow

·
Registered
326 Posts
Expensive parts? I thought they were on the low-end myself.

The V6 exhaust is already pretty good sounding to be honest, but if you want to change it it will only sound meaner and deeper than it would on the i4. Invidia is pretty loud, if you want somethign more tamed you'll have to put a resonator on that or I would recommend magnaflow
Try straightpipes above 4000rpms...she gives off a v8 sound...never ran it with a cat so can't compare to what people would have regularly, but a 3in straightpipe sounds wiked abouve 4000...below that you sound like a loud ricer unfortunately

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
Try straightpipes above 4000rpms...she gives off a v8 sound...never ran it with a cat so can't compare to what people would have regularly, but a 3in straightpipe sounds wiked abouve 4000...below that you sound like a loud ricer unfortunately
Lol, personally I'm thinking of going with an Invidia catback with undecided headers and throwing a magnaflow II resonator on it deleting my precats and replacing my main cat with a high flow cat. I don't want to be obnoxious, but anything I can do to deepen the sound and get just a little bit louder. I'm just torn between doing that and the loss of power I will face. I might want to do all of my engine mods that I want to do before I change the exhaust around and such.

/back on topic/

More info than I originally said, I have seen people reliably run these cars over 250k miles on the original engine. And it was my first real car as well at 19, I owned one before but that was just a joke. You shouldn't have to worry about this but I would say always expect to get ripped off at a dealership. I was missing a few cosmetic pieces on the car and certain things he said he had replaced brand new like the clutch obviously were not quality parts. Make sure where you buy it from is a good place with a good name, and if you can bring a non-biased fried or mechanic that knows about cars to look it over with you. And if you buy it around the 60-120k mile mark off the back you'll have to do a timing belt job and maybe some other maintenance. But any car takes maintenance to keep running.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I want to thank everyone. This information has been very useful. I will try to buy a 3g eclipse GT. Can't wait for next summer :).

·
Registered
1,129 Posts

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
Hi, I’m glad to be here. I have a few questions, and concerns about the Mitsubishi 3g GT. I am 18 years old and I’m looking to buy a used car next summer. I will buy the car with my own money, I will also pay for everything that the car needs .Just so you guys know I do not know much about cars, I know how to take care of them but nothing in regards to technical stuff. After doing lots of research I came to the conclusion that I would love to buy a 3g GT. I have heard mix things about these cars.
summer is kind of the typical time to buy cars, so higher prices are a little more common beause cars are easier to move during that time-- if possible, try to get it over the winter when people will be more willing to cut to a better deal.

but you are looking at the v6, so in the past prices have been cheaper on those because of gas prices being so high(everyone wants the 4cyl, no one wants the v6).. by the summer, maybe those prices will stick around, maybe not.. it's hard to know right now with the gas situation..

also, be sure to factor in a timing belt and water pump change as soon as you get the car, unless you can get some sort of mileage and reciept proving that it was changed in the past at the correct intervals.. the costs i've seen on this can range from $500-1200 depending on cost of parts and if your mechanically-minded buddies can do it on the side, or need to do it on the clock..

Last week I went to a mechanic that is good friends with my family. I asked him about if a Mitsubishi Eclipse would be a good car, right away he cut me off and said “no” I asked him what was wrong with the Eclipse’s he said that parts are expensive.
what is 'expensive'? the general parts that are going to require work-- brakes, fluids, tires, etc are usually fairly priced(tires are always my most expensive item-- don't EVER cheap out on tires)..

my family has owned a number of vehicles(96 ranger, 99 suburban, 95 grand prix, 96 grand am, 91 civic, 01 eclipse, 12 patriot, 14 brz) and the eclipse was only more expensive then the other one's so far because the trans blew up on me(car was worth $10k at the time, trans repair+resto was $3k)-- this was the all-too-common wave spring issue that all 3g gt's had for a while.. mitsu released an updated design, i don't know when that went into production vehicles though..

I was thinking of buying a cat back exhaust for the car, the Invidia N1(resonated) . What do you guys think? Is it too loud? It’s just a bolt on so I don’t need to worry about buying extra things for the installation? It looks exactly like the one in the picture.

http://www.redline360.com/image/cac...-eclipse-gt-v6-HS00ME1GTT-catback-228x228.jpg
i recommend taking the resonators off the oem intake first, and seeing if you like that sound-- it's not horribly loud(a little louder/deeper then stock), but gives a nice rumble that is pleasing, and still allows you to exit the house too early in the morning without waking up the neighborhood..

·
Cosmic Turd
222 Posts
My Eclipse is my second car, but more like my first real car in that I paid for it and everything going into it aside from a few gifts from other people. I'm 17 and working low wages (obviously) and I never had issues funding the 3G, it's shown to be such a reliable car considering how many of them are still hanging around with the proper maintenance and care. I'd say it's a great first car, sporty and respectable but not powerful. The best thing you can do is read. When you go through these forums you learn the highs and lows of these cars, like the strut tower rust and the importance of replacing the timing belt & components. As long as you pay attention and keep yourself informed and on top of maintenance, a well-kept 3G will be good to you. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts