Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
searched, couldnt find it, and i just ended up getting confused.

one of my friends who has a 2000 GS Fed-Spec has an issue. the hose on top of the valve cover (not sure what its called) just to the right of the oil cap is making a buzzing sound. its the piece squared on the left of the picture.

my questions are:
what is this?
what could be wrong?
what does she do to fix it?

any help would be great.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
That's the PCV system. Replace the PCV valve, which is the $3 90-degree plastic valve on the left of the boxed area that goes in the valve cover grommet. At the very least, you'll have replaced a regular maintenance item.

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's the PCV system. Replace the PCV valve, which is the $3 90-degree plastic valve on the left of the boxed area that goes in the valve cover grommet. At the very least, you'll have replaced a regular maintenance item.
thanks man, i thought thats what it was, but wasnt sure.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
The FSM tells you how to check the PCV. Its easy as hell. Something like pull it out of the valve cover and push something inside it (not the hose attachment part) to see if the plunger moves freely. YOu should be able to feel it moving back in place. It has a spring inside it. Not sure why the right side nipple would be making a "buzz" sound though. Unless your dealer has the PCV in stock I would test it first. If its in stock then just replace that cheap thing.

No SES I take it? Just an annoying sound?

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
PCV malfunction will not cause the CEL to come on, it's not an ECU-monitored system. Checking the PCV valve isn't even worth your time, just get a new one from AutoZone. Fram is fine, it's just a stupid check valve - the pressure holding capacity doesn't matter unless she's boosted. If you're really set on going to the dealer for an item so simple, go for it.

It could be buzzing because the intake isn't a constant pull of air - it's more like a sinusoid. A bad spring in the PCV valve could cause that kind of sound.

·
5-Spd's FTW
1,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No SES I take it? Just an annoying sound?
yeah i know how to check it. i just wanted to make sure it was the right thing i was checking, haha.
nah, just the annoying sound, thats loud as hell.

It could be buzzing because the intake isn't a constant pull of air - it's more like a sinusoid. A bad spring in the PCV valve could cause that kind of sound.
yeah i guess that could be it...ill check it out in the morning, and get back to you guys with a verdict.

thanks. :bigthumb:

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
PCV malfunction will not cause the CEL to come on, it's not an ECU-monitored system. Checking the PCV valve isn't even worth your time, just get a new one from AutoZone.
It would take me 45mins to go get a new one. It would take me under 1min to check the PVC. Thats why I suggest testing it. Its the easiest part in the engine bay to test so why not do that?

I asked about the SES to see if that sound could be related to anything else (loose MAF could rattle and cause an SES and its awful close to that hose barb).

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just for the record, the PCV valve is not a 90 degree piece...it is the metal valve that screws into the 90 degree fitting on top of the valve cover...

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Just for the record, the PCV valve is not a 90 degree piece...it is the metal valve that screws into the 90 degree fitting on top of the valve cover...
Just for the record, you don't know everything. A change was made to utilize the threaded-type PCV valve in later years of the 4G64. If the picture is an accurate representation of the model year in question, it's a plastic 90-degree valve.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just for the record, you don't know everything. A change was made to utilize the threaded-type PCV valve in later years of the 4G64. If the picture is an accurate representation of the model year in question, it's a plastic 90-degree valve.
Ahh, I stand corrected! And I never claimed to know everything...far from it, and if I'm wrong I admit it. I was unaware of a PCV change throughout the 3g's run, and just advised based off of mine since I just bought a new one, which is the screw in strait type...

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Ahh, I stand corrected! And I never claimed to know everything...far from it, and if I'm wrong I admit it. I was unaware of a PCV change throughout the 3g's run, and just advised based off of mine since I just bought a new one, which is the screw in strait type...
Just saying... you were talking as if the valve in the picture wasn't a PCV valve at all.:)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Just saying... you were talking as if the valve in the picture wasn't a PCV valve at all.:)
Oh, I didn't mean that at all...I just meant that it (at least my) PCV valve wasn't a 90 degree piece, but rather a straight piece that screwed into a 90 degree elbow...I agreed that it was the PCV valve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts