Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 4g64. Currently, I have a greddy catback, AEM intake, and megan header. I plan on buying the camshaft and valve springs from rpw. Is there anything else i could do to it that would increase my performance?

·
Registered
145 Posts
What do you mean by cheap? Because the way I see it everything you have would be "cheap", but aside from that I wouldn't buy the rpw stuff. Look into a DOHC swap. Then get some cams for that. It's probably about $1300-1600 for a head swap. Depending on if you get the Kia head or the evo.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,395 Posts
everything that is cheap and easy (and most inportantly) EFFECTIVE-also being worth anyones while is starting with the dohc head on your stock block, from there the options are endless. turbo manifolds and cams and Ti springs and retainers and turbos and---well i could go on but you get the point. lots of saturated market and cheap prices. SO, if youre serious about building performancewise, start looking there.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So going with the DOHC swap would give me better performance than the RPW cam? The only problem is that I'm still in Highschool and money still plays a factor with what I do to my car.

·
Willful Aspirer
2,356 Posts
So going with the DOHC swap would give me better performance than the RPW cam? The only problem is that I'm still in Highschool and money still plays a factor with what I do to my car.
Then instead of spending a few hundred, save that few hundred and save some more until you can afford it. Don't just go with the cheapest you can get, you'll regret it in the long run.

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
Fast, cheap, and reliable.. You can only pick two of those.

And with you being in high school I recommend just saving the money for college. The 3G is a good car for running around town and looking good. It's not quick in any form or matter unless you drop at LEAST a few thousand or more into it.

On a side note I'm moving this thread to the new members section.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah ive researched a ton about the evo 8 head swap and its just too expensive for me. Im still in highschool and im working as a busboy at a restauraunt so the money just isnt there. i bought this eclipse to learn how to work on engines so i decided im just going to buy the rpw camshaft. i plan on doing a head rebuild along with a full engine rebuild when i buy this. thanks for the info though guys.

·
Registered
145 Posts
If you're getting the rpw cam you might as well get the dohc... Why do all the work to put a nice cam into the sohc head? I know the cams are cheap for the 4 banger, but I doubt it will do much for you. If you have that tight of a budget, I recommend you stick to maintenance and get that car as clean as you can. A stock clean car will still impress. And I'll bet there's some things that could use a tune up. Get a new timing belt on there. That will give you some good experience.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I decided to do the dohc swap. I got '01 sonata head for 80 bucks from the junkyard. I'm still researching more and more each day as I compile the parts I need for this swap. I have one remaining question though. What exhaust manifold can I use?

Will the '01 sonata exhaust manny bolt up?

Can use the header I have now on my sohc?

I've read a thread that gave me a couple options for n/a headers but I might turbo it eventually. I don't want to spend 500$ on a nice header and then replace it a couple months later for a turbo header.

Thanks.

·
Engineer/Realist
4,999 Posts
if you ever, ask the same question in 5 different threads again, I will NEG you into last decade. please do not do that!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Damn dude what's the big deal. Nobody is answering my question. I go on this forum to get help but everyone's just a dick and tells you to search and no ones willing to help you.

·
Administrator
16,338 Posts
Your question was answered. No, it won't be immediate. You gotta be a LITTLE patient. Wait at least 24 hours. Bumping 5 different threads with the same question isn't what you wanna do.

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
Besides. There isn't a question you've asked that hasn't been answered a hundred times. And all of them are answerable indirectly given some common sense.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Patience is a virtue. But on a side note, I'm glad you went with the dohc swap. I plan on doing the same soon. Just wanted to say good luck and do lots of research, because just about every question you could have is all in one thread.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Guys, I would like to apologize for my impatience. I'm still new to the forums but I don't wanna blame it all on that. I don't wanna piss anyone off on here. My bad guys. Sorry.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
And good luck to you as well 05Stratus. Pm me if you have any questions. I MIGHT be able to answer some. But all my knowledge has came from this forum, sooo you'll be able to find your answer on here. Are you going to be using the g4js head or the evo head? I got a full g4js head from the junkyard for $80.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts