Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
4g64T
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question, I'm new to owning an eclipse but not to mitsubishi. I own a 2000 Mit. Eclipse GS 5 speed with 70,753mi exactly. Ok heres the problemS. Heat cools with at idle (probably thermo. so not worried I'll replace it tomorrow) The car idles oddly, for example when it has finally reached running temp. the needle will bounce between 700 and 400 rpms and feels as if it is stuttering. Also when the car is off but in On key position i hear this odd clicking under the hood??? While i was parked i waited for it to do it's odd idle, when it starting boucing i turned on the AC full blast to try to put some load on the motor at idle and idle quickly droped to 300 and the for a split second tried to stall and the oil light and battery light blinked but it regain normal idle and stoped boucing for a while and commenced to go with it's stubburn idle issue. This may have nothing to do with it but i had no problem with the idle untill i disconnected my battery to install my dvd player. when i pulled the negative off (which i did first) it had a crack on the back and was really easy to pull off and put back on. Today i replaced the Positive battery terminal because battery acid ate it up and i was hooking up my Amplifier. Could this ground cable be the culprate to my problem????....any ways the car is in great shape..but im not sure if the timming belt was changed at 60,000mi so im making an appointment first thing in the morning with mitsubishi to have that taking care of along with the water pump and so on. I appreciate any of your advice.

The only mod i've done is a K&N Short Ram Intake and a system.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Well, you know the negative battery cable is cracked, so it doesn't matter if that's causing your idle problem or not...you should fix it. Have you checked for any trouble codes? When is the last time a tune up was done? Do you hear any vacuum leaks (often a cause of a hunting idle)? You may also want to look into taking the throttle body off and cleaning it and the IAC valve...

·
4g64T
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The MAF sensor was installed correctly. I'm hoping it's just the cracked ground connection causing it to stutter since it diddn't start untill after i broke it. Autozone only had the positive battery terminal and i had them order the negative one this morning they are getting it from another store so maybe it'll be here tomorrow?? I'm also going to replace the spark plugs. With all the computer sensors on these cars id figure if somthing as significant as a boucing idle would trip some kind of CEL??? Also ive been disconnecting the negative plug quite a bit in the last day or two about 3-4 times.....could i have blown somthing with the computer???? (doubt it)

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The MAF sensor was installed correctly. I'm hoping it's just the cracked ground connection causing it to stutter since it diddn't start untill after i broke it. Autozone only had the positive battery terminal and i had them order the negative one this morning they are getting it from another store so maybe it'll be here tomorrow?? I'm also going to replace the spark plugs. With all the computer sensors on these cars id figure if somthing as significant as a boucing idle would trip some kind of CEL??? Also ive been disconnecting the negative plug quite a bit in the last day or two about 3-4 times.....could i have blown somthing with the computer???? (doubt it)
While you're at Autozone picking up the new negative cable and spark plugs, have them check for any trouble codes...they do it for free.

I honestly don't know why so many people would rather have us try and guess what's wrong with their car using our super-human web-based powers instead of performing routine maintenance on their cars and checking to see if the ECU/PCM thinks there's something wrong...that's not necessarily directed at you, but a lot of people lately...

·
4g64T
640 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well thanx for the advice, on an honest note My last vehicle was a 1988 Mitsubishi Mighty Max so ive not really grasped a concept of the whole trouble code things......i wasn't aware that trouble codes could exist without triping the CEL.?? but if they can then i will be getting them to check it out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts