Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying some new wheels, they are 18x8.5 with 38 offset. Will these fit 3g? 225/40/18 tires. Thanks!

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
anyone? I searched and found that 35 offset seems to stick out some, but what about the 38 mm offset??

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
but it should fit, no rub problems? I have eibach prokit with agx's. I already thought about hammering that black box in the front. Will i need to do anything else?

·
Suk me balls
4,973 Posts
If you are lowered over 1.5, you might rub the fender. You want to stay in the 7.5 to 8 wide range or offset between 40 to 46.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can anyone else chime in? I have seen plenty of 3g's running 8.5 and even 9 inch wide wheels...any help greatly appreciated. I may be ordering the wheels by the end of the week.

·
Registered
844 Posts
you should be fine, especially with such a mild drop.

it's going to stick out about a quarter of an inch more than the 17x8 evo wheels. you're going to rub at full lock up front, and you may or may not have a slight rub in the back, depending on your driving style. a 5mm spacer in the rear won't hurt.

one question...why only a 225 tire?

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
cause thats what they are selling them with. Its an auction. They are ADR Sterlings, 18x8.5" with 38mm offset. I have rear spacers already, so is that good? Hmm, what can I do about the front? Will I need to cut those black boxes in the fender wells??

·
Registered
844 Posts
the black boxes need to be removed, and anything over a 5mm spacer in the rear is going to be overkill.

regardless of them being included in the auction, putting a 225 tire on an 8.5 wheel is like putting a thong on a fat chick.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
will it fit or will I have problems? That is what is included in the auction, but I reckon I can ask if he can change it to 235/40/18.

·
Registered
844 Posts
i've seen worse tire stretches than 225 on 8.5.

i personally wouldn't do it. the absolute minimum for me is either 245 or 255.

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wasn't asking for opinions, you never like any decision I make anyways.

Thanks for the help Bad Mojo, e-rep given!!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
i've seen worse tire stretches than 225 on 8.5.

i personally wouldn't do it. the absolute minimum for me is either 245 or 255.
Keep in mind though, with such a wide tire, you're not going to be able to stick with a 40 series aspect ratio...:ugh2:

255/35ZR18 would be the perfect overall diameter, but they obviously come at a higher price tag...and they would fit an 8.5" wheel just as well as the 225/40ZR18 fits a 7.5" wheel...:bigthumb:

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)

I think the wheels are gorgeous, absolutely LOVE the lip on them. I will talk to the guy selling the wheels, see if I can beef up the tire size. I need 40 sidewall because my roads are shitty and I do NOT want to risk a bent wheel.

-18" ADR sterling black with 2.5" chrome lip(deep dish)
-225/40/18 Kumho 712
He seems to be running the same tire size and same size wheel I am wanting. hmmm.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
loooks good on the audi but i dont know how well it will on the eclipse man. Im just giving you a honest opinion. Shits going to look retarded with a gay offset and a tire that looks like a small condom that you should be using a magnum :) . I know tires and i know alittle bit about wheel offsets. Currently working at NTB so its my job to. Get them and if you dont like them sell them like usual. Im just trying to help you find a rim that you will never want to replace so quickly again.

If you want me to lie to you so you can get them then i will and tell you they look great. LIke the guy posted above. Your going to have to drop to a 35 series tire to get the width correct. THats ALOT more money.

·
stupid booster
7,219 Posts
Also they dont look near as nice but maybe check if V line makes the v line 600 in black with a polished lip. The rim is similar. The lip isnt as deep and the design is slightly diff but over all the same style, split spokes etc

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I think the wheels are gorgeous, absolutely LOVE the lip on them. I will talk to the guy selling the wheels, see if I can beef up the tire size. I need 40 sidewall because my roads are shitty and I do NOT want to risk a bent wheel.

He seems to be running the same tire size and same size wheel I am wanting. hmmm.
Keep in mind, the 35 series tire in 255mm width will have a sidewall that is only 0.05" shorter than a 40 series tire in 225mm width...so, the impact from the roads shouldn't be any different...and that way you will have a tire that won't throw off your speedometer and look/function like the lowrider guys used to do back in the early 90's, running a really thin tire on a wide wheel so your sidewall looks like this.../*****\ instead of this...|*****|...handling and traction will be much better too!

FYI...while I'm not in the tire industry anymore, I was for a few years both while I put myself through UTI and as a second job for some extra income after I first joined the Air Force...thinner tires on wider wheels are a PITA to mount as well...the difference isn't too much, so you would probably be alright with getting the thinner tires, but I think you'd be much happier in the long run with the wider tires...:bigthumb:

·
SPYDEY MF!
5,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK, I am not trying to contradict anyone or say that any of you are wrong, but in Phil's sticky thread, it said this:

225/40-18 ; Rim Width Range = 7.5" - 9.0"
I also did a search on here and have seen quite a few people running 225/40 on 8.5" wide wheels. Hmmm...

1 - 20 of 39 Posts