Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
aa, why did mits chose to use that stupi plastic tank.. i have developed several crack lines. I tried to jb weld but well thats for metal..

what do you guys use to weld it up?

Ill probably dish out the 200 dllrs for the all copper one from radiator world .com

any tips?

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Are you referring to the coolant resevoir when you say it cracked?? That seems odd. Well, if you just need to get to a shop or something I imagine duct tape would hold up rather well for a few miles atleast. I would order a new one or get one from a junkyard. They have got to be fairly cheap.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Are you referring to the coolant resevoir when you say it cracked?? That seems odd. Well, if you just need to get to a shop or something I imagine duct tape would hold up rather well for a few miles atleast. I would order a new one or get one from a junkyard. They have got to be fairly cheap.
I think he means the upper and lower tanks on the radiator itself...they're plastic, with a metal core between them...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Yeah, they are. I have the exact same thing going on with mine. POS fucking mitsu radiators.... I'm looking online for an all aluminum one since the OEM ones are no good. If Mitsu had decided to go with an all metal one, it wouldn't be bad at all. DO NOT TRY the JB Weld, OR Pleastic Weld. I tried both of them and neither one works. The JB Weld wasn't meant for the temp that the radiator was putting out, and the Plastic Weld doesn't sit very well on the plastic that Mitsu uses for some reason. It won't fully harden and if you're like me with a crack in the front of the plastic part, it's hard to get down in there without taking the entire radiator out. Anyway, if you guys know a good site to get all alluminum radiators without paying $500 bucks for it, please email me and I'll check it out. :/

·
Registered
228 Posts
That's not too bad of a price, actually. I had been to that site before and didn't see that one, so maybe it's new. The core size is only 1.25" though, so I think I'll swap mine out for an aftermarket Evo one instead and get that extra .75". I found a dual core one online with slim fans and all the hook ups for about 280, but I can't remember the link for some reason. It was an all aluminum "racing" radiator ment to keep the temps way down.

But good find though!

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I used some clear plastic weld and it worked o.0 i used it to patch a HUGE hole i had on the resevoir made by one of my pulleys (tank was not in place)

ill post pics to what i used.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why was this thread moved? i have a GS.. anywho...

i bought a radiator for that chrysler car. The sebring? the one that has the 2.4 engine.

Its brand new, however its a bit taller.. i had to remove the bottom mounts in order for it to fit and the hood being able to close.

My old radiator.. the gloue didnt hold and water everywhere..

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Why was this thread moved? i have a GS.. anywho...

i bought a radiator for that chrysler car. The sebring? the one that has the 2.4 engine.

Its brand new, however its a bit taller.. i had to remove the bottom mounts in order for it to fit and the hood being able to close.

My old radiator.. the gloue didnt hold and water everywhere..
It probably got moved because you reported a problem...hence, the problem reports section...:bigthumb:

As for your "new" radiator, did you get one for a 2-door coupe or a 4-door sedan? I'm not sure about the Sebrings, but if I remember correctly about the Stratus, only the 2-door coupe is basically the same as the Eclipse, and the 4-door sedan is a completely different animal...that may explain the poor fitment...:ugh2:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
aaa I dont kniow, yes it was from a stratus and i think the 2 door, for somw reason this was taller.. :S well i dunno if it was 2 door or 4 door. The radiator looks exactly the same. except its like one inch taller. I posted because its a GS problem that i needed help with. go mods! .... :/

it was not general eclipse.

hehe the radiator is in and it fits sorta ok. Now my temp is below half most of the time, just a few milimeters.

·
Boosted
3,815 Posts
It probably got moved because you reported a problem...hence, the problem reports section...:bigthumb:

As for your "new" radiator, did you get one for a 2-door coupe or a 4-door sedan? I'm not sure about the Sebrings, but if I remember correctly about the Stratus, only the 2-door coupe is basically the same as the Eclipse, and the 4-door sedan is a completely different animal...that may explain the poor fitment...:ugh2:

The sebring coupe is like the stratus coupe, is like the eclipse, is like the galant in many ways. Only the radiators are different in the eclipse. I believe that our stratus/galant radiators are the same size as the EVO ones, where as the eclipse ones aren't

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
The sebring coupe is like the stratus coupe, is like the eclipse, is like the galant in many ways. Only the radiators are different in the eclipse. I believe that our stratus/galant radiators are the same size as the EVO ones, where as the eclipse ones aren't
So either way, the radiator is one of those parts that is not interchangable with the Eclipse...good to know...

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well it was interchangeable in a way, i had to remove the bottom mounts to make it fit, its a tad bigger so i guess its sorta good? more volume?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Super glue will fix hairline cracks and small leaks, unless the leak is where the end tank meets the core. Epoxy might work, but you will have to rough up the plastic with 40 grit sandpaper first.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts