Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Couldn't wait for an answer from the Performance Section so I am trying here. Anyone know if the passenger side plenum bracket needs to be removed in order to remove the rear valve cover? I have been able to remove all of the 10mm bolts holding the cover on except for one on the rear left of the valve cover. It seems to be sandwiched between the valve cover and that black bracket. I have been able to remove the bracket's driver side mounting bolt but the passenger side one is being a PITA. I have tried accessing it from above and under the car with no luck. I just can't get enough leverage to break it free due to the silver metal box attached to it (very close to the timing belt).

Am I missing something here? I'm hoping that I am just overlooking something... trying to avoid using the impact wrench (assuming it will even fit back there). I guess I could remove the rear header but that would increade the time involved by an hour+ :)ghey:) Any tips??? Thanks in advance and yes, I searched...

I'm in desperate need of tube seal replacements and today is my last chance to get the job done before the Holidays start and the snow arrives :( I found oil in my spark plug tubes although not on the spark plug tips, and I have been getting a P0300 so hopefully the seal change will fix that.

·
Premium Member
638 Posts
You need to use a universal then attach the 10mm to it, you know what i mean the thing that is on a swivel, thats what i used on my old Galant GTZ

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I remember one bolt being hard to get to, but I was able to get it.
So you did not have to remove the manifold bracket?

Thx for the input guys.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,035 Posts
I know what you are talking about... you have to use a 1/4" ratchet set. I haven't had any trouble with that smaller set.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
He said he got all the bolts out for the cover or am I the only one who isn't blind?

You just need to pry it up man. You don't have to remove the brackets for the valve cover to break it's seal. Once a motor gets some mileage on it, it can be very difficult to get the valve cover to break it's seal and remove it. Using a pry bar or thin screwdriver usually does the trick. Replace the valve cover gasket while you are at it too.

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,035 Posts
He said he got all the bolts out for the cover or am I the only one who isn't blind?

You are blind. Let me requote his statement with one small adjustment to one word.

Couldn't wait for an answer from the Performance Section so I am trying here. Anyone know if the passenger side plenum bracket needs to be removed in order to remove the rear valve cover? I have been able to remove all of the 10mm bolts holding the cover on except for one on the rear left of the valve cover. It seems to be sandwiched between the valve cover and that black bracket. I have been able to remove the bracket's driver side mounting bolt but the passenger side one is being a PITA. I have tried accessing it from above and under the car with no luck. I just can't get enough leverage to break it free due to the silver metal box attached to it (very close to the timing belt).

Am I missing something here? I'm hoping that I am just overlooking something... trying to avoid using the impact wrench (assuming it will even fit back there). I guess I could remove the rear header but that would increade the time involved by an hour+ () Any tips??? Thanks in advance and yes, I searched...

I'm in desperate need of tube seal replacements and today is my last chance to get the job done before the Holidays start and the snow arrives I found oil in my spark plug tubes although not on the spark plug tips, and I have been getting a P0300 so hopefully the seal change will fix that.
:lol: Sorry Greg, I couldn't resist! Go drink some more eggnog. :lmfao:

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
:lol: That's what I get for posting at 3:30AM... heh

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks guys. I just got that bolt removed using a 1/4" 10mm socket and a 3" extension. Just had to work it onto the bolt from behind the bracket! I'm gonna pop the cover off using a rubber mallet and 2x4. If that doesn't work I'll try prying with a small flathead. I do have an extra valve cover gasket so I guess I could replace that easliy enough.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Anyone recall if the timing belt cover must be removed for this? Anytime I pry up on the valve cover the timing belt cover rises with it.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
Anyone recall if the timing belt cover must be removed for this? Anytime I pry up on the valve cover the timing belt cover rises with it.
The timing belt cover bolts to the valve cover... so yes.

·
Resident Asshole
5,940 Posts
Technically you don't have to pull the cover off but you do have to remove the 10mm bolt that attaches the timing cover to the valve cover. You would then have to kinda pull the timing cover to the left but you should be able to get the valve cover off.

The 12mm at the bottom rear of the timing cover is a bitch to get off.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The 12mm at the bottom rear of the timing cover is a bitch to get off.
Thats the one I am working on now... :( Its like 40F and raining balls outside so its definately not going to be fun.

·
BoomGoesTheDynaMitt
7,180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I found that 2 of my rear seals were bent/wrinkled or whatever. They were also hard as a rock unlike my new ones which were soft and pliable. I replaced them, cleaned off the spark plugs, and then went for a drive. My P0139 and P0300 came back as soon as I got the RPMs up around 3K (while under load) although this time the car seemed to run stronger and had less of a skip/misfire when the SES was triggered. Any idea what else I should look into? All I can think of is to replace the "slow" O2 sensor (Bank1 Sensor 2) with a new one and maybe to replace the distributor (or just the rotor?)? My rotor was replaced within the last 10-15K miles. :twitch:

·
Registered
1 Posts
rear valve cover

hey guys i need help getting to that last screw on the rear valve cover on the passenger side. none of my ratchets have enough space so i got some tiny ones with an attachment but its to weak. Its a black brake i have to remove from the side of the egr. It has two bolts which seem like a 14. plz help

1 - 17 of 17 Posts