Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased an 01 Eclipse GT with 60k miles that was in good condition. After I got home I popped the hood to find an aftermarket Injen pipe inside. However I don't know much about foreign cars as my dad has always taught me about American muscle more than a ricer. I searched for an Injen CAI or SRI that looked like this and none for a V6 looked like this one.

I just took it with my phone which is good enough. I think its a SRI is it not? I know CAI is better but hell i bought this car without knowing it had this done to it.

Also at 60k miles I wonder if the guy replaced the spark plugs or not yet >.<

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well i wasn't able to look becuase my aunt purchased it for me 250 miles away becuase it was on serious sale. Either way it came with a 90 day dealer warranty so i figured it would be okay in the long run. Anyway...any idea on what exactly that is?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
It looks like a CAI (maybe just an older model...there are a few versions floating out there), but we can't see the end to know if it goes under the headlight or not...by the way, where's your MAF at?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the filter ends under the headlight. Its at the bottom left of the front end. Also I don't know what a MAF is...just got this car hah

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
That's an old Injen CAI probably around '99 or '00 judging from the looks of it.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
the filter ends under the headlight. Its at the bottom left of the front end. Also I don't know what a MAF is...just got this car hah
I am glad I moved this from the GT/GTS Performance forum as you didn't bother to read all the announcements in there before posting this thread.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
the car is an 01 though so i wonder how they pulled that one off...what is the quality of this part? Also thank you im usually pretty good with posting in the right place but i figured the performance section would know easy.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess i was more referring to the filter...perhaps i should replace it was a top quality new filter?

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
Is there a picture of the filter? If it is a K&N and it was re-shot as per regular maintenance it has a million mile warranty.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im sorry i don't have a picture of the filter since i only took that picture to figure out what Injen piping it was and it is dark now so I can try to get one tomorrow. K&N filters are the best are they not then? Thats what my dads has always used on his cars. Also with this CAI and lets say a K&N filter whats the increase in hp on average, like 7 or 8?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Also I don't know what a MAF is...just got this car hah
Damn, this is an old picture, but do you see the little black box that's about 3 or 4 inches square where the stock intake pipe mates to the upper left corner of the air filter box? That's the MAF sensor...stands for Mass Air Flow...:bigthumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I didn't see one of those anywhere near my pipe so I will have to take a closer look tomorrow when its light outside.

·
Registered
85 Posts
right, what i was about to mention was what i am observing in the first picture. Where is your MAF? I have an AEM CAI and it should be placed roughly in the same spot as the original.

·
Generally Bitter Admin
28,432 Posts
That's an old Injen CAI probably around '99 or '00 judging from the looks of it.
right, what i was about to mention was what i am observing in the first picture. Where is your MAF? I have an AEM CAI and it should be placed roughly in the same spot as the original.
If it's an older Injen, the MAF is mounted low, not like today.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts