Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so after fixing my sunroof drain leak, I have decided to recover my headliner and visor while everything is out of the car. I want to stick with the factory beige color material and I am pretty sure one of several fabric shops near me has this but, what about recovering the sun visors? one of mine has a cigerette burn mark on it and they both are dirty as hell. I called several upholstery shops near me, but NONE of then will recover them due to how they are made and the fact they have the lights and mirror built in. Any suggestions?

·
"S" Car...Gooooooo
1,350 Posts
Re-covering these types of sun visors is a royal pain. I'm not surprise local shops wont do them.

They are basically made like a clam-shell and are folded over and "glued" together. This is what gives you that nice net seam along the edge. The only way to re-upholster is to carefully split that seam then wrap the new material around the edges then the tricky part of getting them to hold back together once folded again. If you are going to tackle this yourself I would suggest a sacrificial one (or two) to try your hand at before you do your desired final product. The actual rood liner fabric is is a little tricky to handle as it is so thin.

GL

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have watch a few YouTube videos on this type of visor. There is a guy that does these in about 20 minutes each but he did not have the mirrors and lights. I am going to try it as soon as this virus bullshit is over with and post picture. I want to go back with the beige color. My local Joann's had black but I am not sure how that would look. My interior is the GTS midnight.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ok, so after fixing my sunroof drain leak, I have decided to recover my headliner and visor while everything is out of the car. I want to stick with the factory beige color material and I am pretty sure one of several fabric shops near me has this but, what about recovering the sun visors? one of mine has a cigerette burn mark on it and they both are dirty as hell. I called several upholstery shops near me, but NONE of then will recover them due to how they are made and the fact they have the lights and mirror built in. Any suggestions?
you can still get a brand new headliner from the dealer I just bought one with the sun shades for the sunroof the visors no good but I've got some beautiful ones I'll be e-bay just a couple weeks ago and they're gorgeous and there were more to buy much easier than trying to recover them

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, so I got picks coming soon. After Hobby Lobby opened back up near me, I bought all the materials needs to recover my headliner. I recovered with the same beige material and for it to be my first headliner job, it does not look too bad. I have two place where the fabric is wrinkled slightly but, I think the heat with some applied pressure will fix. As for the sun visors, I had a guy show me how to recover this type of visor. He did one in about 20 minutes and it looked good. the mirrors pop out but you have to work around the wires for the lights which I do not think will be too bad. I will post picks soon. When I dropped the headliner, the thought of dropping the sunroof shade part did not occur to me so I have to go back over to my buddies shop and get that part out of the car. In all, I have about 3 hours on the headliner.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Successfully recovered by first sun visor and it looks pretty good. Had two bad places where I cut too much material off and out for the visor stay bar, but other than that it looks awesome. I will make a youtube video for the second visor. Lastly, I have to recover the two sliding shades for the sunroof.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just recovered completed my headliner, sunvisor and sunroof shade recover and everything looks AWESOME! I will put together a write up on this with pictures I took. I think I may start recovering these types of sun visors for some extra money being no upholstery shop near me wants to do this. This picture is the finish product. I even added an extra pocket to each visor. The You tube video I watched was a guy recovering visors to a chevy Silverado that had pockets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So after recovering my sun visors and headliner, I decided to clean and lube the sun roof track as it looked bad from all the old grease and it does not work like I want (has trouble venting but will open and close). From my research, everything says to use silicone lube and I did but, didn't think about how runny the stuff is. Any how after putting everything back together, and closing the sun roof, I now have oil stains on my new headliner at the corners of the sunroof. Will try to get stains out considering its clean oil.

·
New To Site
17 Posts
From what I see in the picture of your recovered sun visor you did a bang up job . You may regret adding those pockets down the road. You said yourself that the material is very thin and will stretch after time so if I was you , don`t use the pockets .. I can say this because I have been doing upholstery for 45 years .

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
From what I see in the picture of your recovered sun visor you did a bang up job . You may regret adding those pockets down the road. You said yourself that the material is very thin and will stretch after time so if I was you , don`t use the pockets .. I can say this because I have been doing upholstery for 45 years .
I really appreciate the comment! I work in engineering but, enjoy doing work like this. Yes, the addition of the pocket was probably not the best idea. The fellow that taught me was using a sunvisor out of a Chevrolet Silverado and it came factory with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts