Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
leave it alone cuz
373 Posts
i read an article a while ago and it said something along the lines that because of the distance between turbo and intake that it doesnt need an intercooler.

yet there isnt any intake piping either..

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,035 Posts
Ok, am i missing something or is there no charge pipe?

EDIT: or any kind of oil or coolant line?
Yeah, I don't see the return pipe back to the TB. It almost looks like it shares the exhaust pipe, but I doubt that is a dual chamber pipe. The pictures may have been taken halfway through the install. Interesting and I'm glad it fits. I'd just be concerned about water and dirt getting in the air filter.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
That car looks foolish. Thanks for the visual anyways Russ. He may include the rest of it with the car, who knows. I'd like to see the gains he made with it. I'd imagine he doesn't have to worry about his engine running too hot either. Not a bad idea, but it looks like a messy job on that car.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I saw something similar to this on a 2002 SS camaro but he had a shield for it, definitely a lot cleaner look and protected.
the 2002 SS would be an STS bolt on kit, but they dont make on for our cars. If its not done it looks like a good start. He needs to clock the center and the cold side housing to make it fit better. I have been tempted to try this but dont have the time or a running spare car.

·
Registered
689 Posts
I posted up some info on this a few months back. I am tempted to do this but was thinking of mounting the turbo befor the rear cross member instead of after it. I think there is enough room right where the exhaust pipe bends and the goes over the rear cross member. I also thought about running a pipe for the intake back over the cross member to the passengers side of the car up in the rear quarter panel where the muffler is above where the muffler would be on the drivers side. It would put the filter up and oput of the way. they also have dry chargers filters that keep out alot of water.

STS states that the distance of the pipe back up to the throtlle body runing under the car actually cools the charge, and the charge is not as hot since the turbo isnt feeding of exhaust gas straight out of the exhaust banks.

·
Evo IX
1,767 Posts
I would imagine there would have to be quite a bit of lag. Keeping underhood temps down would definitely be a benefit but it just seems there would be far to many con's then pro's with this setup.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it theoretically ideal to have the turbo mounted as close to the head as possible?

Plus, How in the world is the oil going to return to the pan? Some kind of pump? :lol:

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, isn't it theoretically ideal to have the turbo mounted as close to the head as possible?

Plus, How in the world is the oil going to return to the pan? Some kind of pump? :lol:
No Clifton, you are very correct since the turbo is powered by the heat and velocity of the exhuast gas which gets cooler and slower the further away from the head you get.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts

dunno the specifics, but it may be a non-oil cooled turbo. instead of oil, lube is used. and you just lube it up everyonce in a while. a guy with an 11 second 1st gen here in town had an fp-green which was water cooled i believe..

looks complicated tho :ugh2:

·
Registered
689 Posts
it uses a pump to get the oil to the turbo for lube/cooling. just like a diff cooler would use a pump or a tranny cooler would use a pump. if you get the proper size impeler/ trim and size turbo lag isnt that great.I have been researching this , dont know everything even only know a little bit but Im only lookin for around 265ish to the wheels. It would be a simple kit to bolt up once you have the pipes fabbed and it would be emmisions legal seeing as you dont have to remove precats/o2 sensors or anything just the axle back pretty much.

·
I hate stance
10,295 Posts
dunno the specifics, but it may be a non-oil cooled turbo. instead of oil, lube is used. and you just lube it up everyonce in a while. a guy with an 11 second 1st gen here in town had an fp-green which was water cooled i believe..

looks complicated tho :ugh2:
Heh heh... lube

·
Stage 1 SDS @11+ psi
3,035 Posts
The one thing that is not mentioned is this system could very easily be CARB certified.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts