Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 4 channel amp hooked up to fronts and backs through a pioneer head unit. I was wondering if I remove the amp will the radio still play? I am asking due to me getting rid of my car in the morning but wanting to keep the amp.

Thank you

·
n00b hater
5,255 Posts
My car came with out any amp so i would have to lift the carpet and run the wires from the hu to the amp wires?

Well if I understand you correctly, if you want to ADD an aftermarket amp, you would have to run from the headunit to your amp, the audio aux cord pre-outs. Hopefully you would have 3 sets. 1 set for your fronts, 1 set for your rears, and another set for your subs. Basically after selecting a mounting spot for your amp, route your pre-out along with your speaker wires to the amp, connect wire to amp, and plug in pre- outs accordingly and I believe that is it. Easiest way I always found was just to run it behind the deck obviously, and route it along the side of the car, under the plastic door sill, which pop off with tabs, to the back, rather than tearing apart the carpet.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Circuit I have a big question for you. I bought a 03 Maurader crutchfield says it has 6x8's front and back but is bringing up 5-1/4" & 6-1/2" components. Are these interchangable? Also since you are the stereo guru I have 2 alpine type r 10's 4ohm+4ohm, 2 alpine mrd-m300 amps for the 10's, & 1 alpine mrv-f340 amp. What kind of suggestion do you have for components with that f340 amp, and what would be the best way to run all of this. I will probably go with a pioneer or alpine flip screen head unit. I also have this RCA Lyra RD2780 Review and User Opinions. MP3 & Media Players Reviews by Digital Trends. which I am hoping I can use like an Ipod to plug into the headunit.
Thanks in advance

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
Eh sorry i should of worded it a little better was half sleep. I want to have the after market head unit power the speakers. Dont really want to buy a new amp seeing how from what i heard froma friend i would need the stock adapter which i dont have.
I dont have speakers nor a radio at this moment i threw out the stock speakers after previous owner took them out. Upgrading to a pioneer radio and speakers with 3 10"jl audio subs.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Eh sorry i should of worded it a little better was half sleep. I want to have the after market head unit power the speakers. Dont really want to buy a new amp seeing how from what i heard froma friend i would need the stock adapter which i dont have.
I dont have speakers nor a radio at this moment i threw out the stock speakers after previous owner took them out. Upgrading to a pioneer radio and speakers with 3 10"jl audio subs.
Did you're car come with a premium audio system with the stock amp originally or was it the basic system?

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
Did you're car come with a premium audio system with the stock amp originally or was it the basic system?
Dont know the member i bought it from took out the amp and the aftermarket radio that was in it when he owned it was stolen. All i know is i own a 2000 eclipse gt and not the gt-p

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
Dont know the member i bought it from took out the amp and the after market radio that was in it when he owned it was stolen. All i know is i own a 2000 eclipse gt and not the gt-p
So the stuff that was stolen was all after market not stock right? Sorry for all the questions, but if you had the premium and want to run your speakers off the HU then you're going to need to run new wires. If it was non premium then the wires are already run for the speakers to run off the deck cause they were running off the deck when it was stock. Get it?

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
So the stuff that was stolen was all after market not stock right? Sorry for all the questions, but if you had the premium and want to run your speakers off the HU then you're going to need to run new wires. If it was non premium then the wires are already run for the speakers to run off the deck cause they were running off the deck when it was stock. Get it?
I understand truthfully i dont know much about it lol. The guy i bought it from the page is still up on here. there are wires under the seat each color wire has 1 that has a red stripe and the corrosponding with a blue im guessing one is neg and the other is pos.

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I understand truthfully i dont know much about it lol. The guy i bought it from the page is still up on here. there are wires under the seat each color wire has 1 that has a red stripe and the corrosponding with a blue im guessing one is neg and the other is pos.
Thats cool I just don't want to give you wrong info on it.:) It sounds like their was a premium system before if there are wires running under the passenger seat like there was one. As far as running the your speakers off the HU I wouldn't suggest doing that. I would get an after market amp especially since your going to be putting in 3 10" JL's.

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
Thats cool I just don't want to give you wrong info on it.:) It sounds like their was a premium system before if there are wires running under the passenger seat like there was one. As far as running the your speakers off the HU I wouldn't suggest doing that. I would get an after market amp especially since your going to be putting in 3 10" JL's.
I will try that thanks for the help :)

·
Premium Member
226 Posts
I will try that thanks for the help :)
NP man and I mean if you really think about it an after market amp is easier. When you put in the subs your going to need to run power wire and RCA's anyway. While you're at it just run the extra two RCA's and running speaker wire to a new amp in the back is way easier than running new new speaker wire to the HU; and with the after market amp it will sound a million times better. but thats just my 2 cents. GL with the system:twothumb:

·
Relapsed.
1,811 Posts
NP man and I mean if you really think about it an after market amp is easier. When you put in the subs your going to need to run power wire and RCA's anyway. While you're at it just run the extra two RCA's and running speaker wire to a new amp in the back is way easier than running new new speaker wire to the HU; and with the after market amp it will sound a million times better. but thats just my 2 cents. GL with the system:twothumb:
Thanks :) this will be done over a course of 2-3weeks lol got to find all the parts and some time to hook everything in. +ereped ya ;)

·
Car Audio Mod #3
2,617 Posts
Circuit I have a big question for you. I bought a 03 Maurader crutchfield says it has 6x8's front and back but is bringing up 5-1/4" & 6-1/2" components. Are these interchangable? Also since you are the stereo guru I have 2 alpine type r 10's 4ohm+4ohm, 2 alpine mrd-m300 amps for the 10's, & 1 alpine mrv-f340 amp. What kind of suggestion do you have for components with that f340 amp, and what would be the best way to run all of this. I will probably go with a pioneer or alpine flip screen head unit. I also have this RCA Lyra RD2780 Review and User Opinions. MP3 & Media Players Reviews by Digital Trends. which I am hoping I can use like an Ipod to plug into the headunit.
Thanks in advance
Sorry it took me a while, been a busy week!

I am seeing 6x9 in the rar of the maurader, so technically a 5-1/4 and 6.5 could fit, but you will have to buy or make a trim plate for mounting.

For speakers, I would go with some OK 6x9's in the rear, and put most of the money into the front speakers. If you are up to the task, I would go with a 6.5" component set with an adapter ring for the midbass, and mount the tweeter higher up.

As far as which brand/model, what ever sounds best to you is the best choice. Head out to as many stereo shops with your OWN CD and listen to all the speakers.

Personally, for that amp, I would look at Polk's DB series and Alpine's Type-R series. Both have higher power handling than what your amp puts out and will give you room to upgrade your amp later. Hope this was helpful!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts