Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
work in progress
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading through here dozens of times and using the search feature a thousand times, I realized noone {to my knowledge} has actually shown how to remove the film.

Items: I had some spare gauges I found in a salvage yard to experiment with, Aircraft paint remover, paper towels folded into a square, painters tape {or ductape}, clothe towel to keep from making a mess {unless you wanna make a mess}

Process: Take the gauge and tape the front side up tight so no remover gets to the other side. Now take the folded up paper towel and spray a very light amount on it. You may wanna wear gloves, the remover tends to burn skin.

Process continued: Now you want to take and wipe the back of the gauge until you begin to see the white portion show through. This process is very time consuming and will take many wipes to get clean. I MUST WARN, Air Craft remover will melt plastic, this is why you will want to use VERY LITTLE while applying it and take considerable time with the process.

End Result: By the time you have finished the wiping proceedure you should finally have nice white lettering. Obviously, they will appear MUCH whiter {or red, blue, purple depending onyour choice LED}, then what it looks like against my LED flashlight.

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
I believe you can also wetsand it off, that way you don't have to worry about run or melting plastic. Pearl01strat and UTStratus11 have stripped their gauges with a nice, white, turn out.

·
MIVEC?
1,397 Posts
Are them stock gauges? my gauge backs look nothing like? im scared to take the arrow off because i may not ever get it back the same..... By the way how do you take it off? also anyway mine still have a yellow film but i need help im scared ill mess my gauges up
Its really not that hard, I just did mine a few weeks ago but I would suggest the wet sanding method instead of using solvents. That's how i did mine and they look great.

·
FeelsGoodToBeGangsta
1,617 Posts
Remember if you use blue, your red needles will not shine through very well

Try not to mess with the fuel gauge too much, or it will not display as correctly as it did

Remove the orange plastic film under the odometer by prying up gently on the odometer screen until it falls out when you tilt it upside down

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.