Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The trim pieces on both sides of my eclipse have paint oxidation and the clear coat is wearing off. Has anyone taken these off, I tried and they unsnapped on the back near the hatch but stopped half way. Is there any secret to getting them off, or just continue to unsnap with a small screwdriver and be careful.

I want to get them off to make them easier to repaint, I am considering painting them black so I won't have to color match to the rest of the paint, I think with the other black trim surrounding the windows that they would blend in and look stock black. Any input?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
This has been done SO MANY TIMES over the last 10 years that the car has been around. Please search to find the answer.
Tried searching but could not find an answer, guess I was not using the terms, what is this piece actually called?

EDIT:

After searching through 8 pages of results simply using the terms "paint trim" I found one thread where someone fixed theirs, but no real instructions about the removal which was part of my original question
http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/130954-way-revive-trim.html

and a thread from six years ago with a very generic title that actually has a solution to removing the piece, but very little talk or pictures about painting it a different color
http://www.club3g.com/forum/show-shine/20627-paint-problem.html

I realize this is a common issue on these cars but its not like the "cracked dash" topic that is rehashed every week and has a hundred threads that are easy to find. Hopefully this thread helps someone since I actually posted pictures and used a decent title to help it show up in searches

·
Premium Member
3,752 Posts
well i wanna know how it comes out, my eclipse is red too so im wondering how the black trim piece will look...plz post some pictures!!
Plenty of members (most with red eclipse's too) have done this. Look in the members ride, I believe there is one on the first page with it done.

·
Titanium Spork
9,044 Posts
Plenty of members (most with red eclipse's too) have done this. Look in the members ride, I believe there is one on the first page with it done.
:agreed:

it seems that the paint on those trim pieces is flawed on that color car.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So I googled looking for the answer to my original question on how to get them off and low and behold this thread was the first google result so I guess I will answer my own question. I got them off and painted so here are the results. To get them off pop the hatch, take a small flat screwdriver and put it between the trim piece and the back window (opposite the hatch) the trim piece will slide back and pop up, It took very little effort to remove. It only came half way off so I had to gently pop off the back part. When you put it back on it sort of slides back into place then snaps down. This all took very little effort so keep that in mind to make sure your doing it right.

Now for some pictures. I used plastidip to paint them, It is sort of rubbery. I had some already and wanted to see how it would look black before painting them. This stuff will peel off and leave no damage to the paint beneath so I can go back to how they were, and if I like them black then I can sand them and paint them properly. I like how they turned out, It is not real smooth since I didn't sand them, but its hard to tell and it looks better then the faded red. I will probably leave them like this a while to see how I like them black. And I know that I need to clean the car. :lol:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Im not feeling the black, doesnt flow well in the first pic
Thanks for the input
I see what you mean, It would be nice if the trim and the weatherstripping on the back window lined up better. I am still not set on keeping it black, but atleast its easy to change back to red if I want.

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I'd say be VERY careful using a screwdriver on anything on the car other than a screw. You'd be surprised how easily you can slip or simply damage something with the force at a concentrated point.

My trim pieces came off by hand. I started at the tail end of the piece and gently pulled away from the car. Wasn't a big deal, no glue or tape just 3 plastic holders, not unlike what holds a door panel on.

·
paula_87
1 Posts
Need Opinions...

I am so glad I found this forum! I've been planning to do this for a while, but was unsure how to remove the piece. I need opinions.. I bought some carbon fiber vinyl a while back and was considering using some of it to cover these pieces rather than using paint. Does this sound logical or no? My Eclipse is the pearl white color.. If not carbon fiber, what color would it look best painted? I'm thinking black... Ideas and opinions would be appreciated! Thanks! =)

·
Administrator
16,342 Posts
I am so glad I found this forum! I've been planning to do this for a while, but was unsure how to remove the piece. I need opinions.. I bought some carbon fiber vinyl a while back and was considering using some of it to cover these pieces rather than using paint. Does this sound logical or no? My Eclipse is the pearl white color.. If not carbon fiber, what color would it look best painted? I'm thinking black... Ideas and opinions would be appreciated! Thanks! =)
Paint it the color is was... white. Just match the color codes.

·
2011's are gay
4,791 Posts
you need to find your paint code, it is on a silver badge on your firewall. i'm pretty sure your paint code is w60, if it is then google "w60 touch up paint" and look around, you should find a place that has a small rattle can of it. remember, good paint work in all in the prep, you can just set it down and spray it or it will look like crap

·
Premium Member
8,831 Posts

·
lit up
4,334 Posts
I have had very good experiences with Express Paint
+1 used that paint for my skyline tail's and gas door..

just note that online paint services like this where you just select a paint code from a list, and don't send in a paint chip are not a perfect match.

like in my case, in certain lighting/angles, i can see a difference in the paint color, but it is not enough that most would be able to see. but when you spend 20+ hrs painting and prepping the item, you can't help but notice something like this later on..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.