Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Senior Dangler
2,093 Posts
HAHAHA i noticed that!! thats the factory insert things, just painted over cuz they looked like CRAP

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
Looks like a bunch of turn signals. :lol:

Might have to go get some bondoglass from work. :ninja2:

·
Meow?
291 Posts
Looks like a bunch of turn signals. :lol:

Might have to go get some bondoglass from work. :ninja2:
I was actually thinking of doing three turn signals and trying to make them flash
sequentially like the new mustangs brake lights, but this was much easier and i did not have to cut my bumper up. I brought them to my body shop I always go too and they painted them for free. :hspin:

·
black Dahlia
90 Posts
I painted my little vents right after I got my car back from its new jet black paint. I went with a custom gun metal color to match my new 18in wheels and also to match my front window gutter and my gas door lol.... I did a lot with that paint color.

don't they even make supra headlights that have just a hole where the high beam is supposed to be so people can just set their filter right behind there?
^ They don't make them that way. My boyfriends made a extra pass side headlight with that ram air tube. So I kinda know a little bit about it. They dont sell and make them but you can make your own for a MKIV TT.

I am going to ask my boyfriend to make a cold air intake for me. I was looking for ideas and I still am.

-Dahlia

·
Super Moderator
4,746 Posts
I meant to reply to this when it first was posted. Back in 2000 Tony and Sam did rather extensive testing with WAI/CAI and air quantities/temperatures using a data logger.

They found that there were no benefits to cutting out the vents for either. The intake temperature was slightly lower for a CAI when not moving, once you started any forward motion the intake temperatures were the same for WAI/CAI with/without the vents cut.

·
Super Moderator
4,746 Posts
I have mine cut on the drivers side, but in reality what that should be for is a power steering or oil cooler behind those openings, not to supply air to your intake. It won't necessarily hurt (See below), but don't expect some magical hp gain from doing that or fabricated a "ram air" scoop.

I also had more issues with my cut vents and CAI while driving through rain where a bypass valve will have zero effect on what issues I had.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/78417-error-code-0170-a.html - That has links to the corresponding threads with all the info if anyone cares.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
I have mine cut on the drivers side, but in reality what that should be for is a power steering or oil cooler behind those openings, not to supply air to your intake. It won't necessarily hurt (See below), but don't expect some magical hp gain from doing that or fabricated a "ram air" scoop.

I also had more issues with my cut vents and CAI while driving through rain where a bypass valve will have zero effect on what issues I had.

http://www.club3g.com/forum/problem-reports/78417-error-code-0170-a.html - That has links to the corresponding threads with all the info if anyone cares.
THAT is a good idea... i may have to use that.

·
black Dahlia
90 Posts
I meant to reply to this when it first was posted. Back in 2000 Tony and Sam did rather extensive testing with WAI/CAI and air quantities/temperatures using a data logger.

They found that there were no benefits to cutting out the vents for either. The intake temperature was slightly lower for a CAI when not moving, once you started any forward motion the intake temperatures were the same for WAI/CAI with/without the vents cut.
^ wow thanks for that info...

^^^^ That settles it I suppose:)
^ yea it does for me.

you might be further ahead to try to duct that air to the brakes.
^ Hmm good idea. I might look into that after I do the brembo swap and if I do it I will make a thread with pix and post it.

-Dahlia

·
Registered
8 Posts
I know this thread is old as hell but maybe I can revive it a little.
I've been thinking of doing something similar in my car because I have a CAI for when I eventually turbo, but the CAI is just a paperweight right now because there's no heat shielding for the air filter. So I've been thinking of doing this, not for hp gains but for the purpose of supplying my engine with nice, fresh, cold air.

So to the point, I wanted to hopefully get some insight into how difficult this is and maybe get some ideas from people who've done it on how I can ensure the air is filtered and I'm not flinging road debris into my engine, while also keeping the profile of the tubing very small. Thanks for any help! :ndance:

·
Administrator
16,323 Posts
3G's don't have a full underbelly splash shield. They already get plenty of cold air from the bottom of the engine. Removing the fake inserts and retroing them to be actual intakes won't do anything for you.

·
Kimosabe
1,006 Posts
I know this thread is old as hell but maybe I can revive it a little.
I've been thinking of doing something similar in my car because I have a CAI for when I eventually turbo, but the CAI is just a paperweight right now because there's no heat shielding for the air filter. So I've been thinking of doing this, not for hp gains but for the purpose of supplying my engine with nice, fresh, cold air.

So to the point, I wanted to hopefully get some insight into how difficult this is and maybe get some ideas from people who've done it on how I can ensure the air is filtered and I'm not flinging road debris into my engine, while also keeping the profile of the tubing very small. Thanks for any help! :ndance:
You'll be tossing the CAI when you go turbo, if you even bother at all.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts