Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up...
I drive a 2001 Eclipse GT Spyder 3.0 and I've been having EGR related codes which caused misfires and low surging idles. So I searched and found a post on removing the vacuum hose that runs to the EGR and letting it hang there and to wait like 3 days. Well I went and unhooked the vacuum hose and reset my codes. I started the car and magically, after warming up, it idles at 900-1000 RPM (500 before), sounds smoother, drives nicer(hesitated before), and doesn't surge when warmed up.

My question is..Can I just leave that hose hanging there? Or is there any way I can bypass that valve? My car runs better with the hose off.

Why does it run better and can I leave it off?

THANKS!!

·
Registered
12,548 Posts
The little red barrel shaped guy on the left side of the intake manifold is bad. It's called the "vacuum control valve". When they go they leak and cause the EGR valve to open slightly all the time basically creating a vacuum leak. The result is idle issues and misfire. Now that you've unplugged it the EGR valve actually shuts and it runs good again.

I've dealt with it on a couple cars now. If you leave it unplugged you'll get an EGR code. Otherwise there are no ill effects to unplugging it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts