Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car: 2001 Eclipse RS
A couple weeks ago I was driving down the highway and the car died as if out of gas. Full tank of gas.

Had it towed to station. They did diagnosis and said it was bad fuel pump. I couldn't afford 600 dollars to have it fixed so bought a new fuel pump assembly and after many crushed knuckles and swearing I got the thing in and screwed down using a homemade tool to tighten the ring down. (I banged on it with a screw driver and hammer for two hours to get it off.)

I was so glad to get it put back together. I tried to start it and It turned over but didn't start. I tried till the battery started dying. I'm not a mechanic. I don't know if there's something else i need to do or whether the shop just said it was the fuel pump without actually testing it. Looking through the manual is like reading Chinese. I'm lost.

The fuel gauge works. I can hear the pump run when I'm trying to start it. Any ideas?

As always, thanks for any ideas you can offer.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I had to look up what a fuel rail was and now will try to find it on the car. I need a pressure gauge to do it so will see if someone I know has one. Then I'll read up on how to check the pressure. I may be gone for awhile.

Also was told that I should spray gas in air inlet to prime the engine or something like that. Is this something I should do? Also a suggestion to open gas cap on off chance there's a vapor lock?

Someone also mentioned an inertia switch which doesn't make sense if the car didn't tip or anything.

Okay, I'm off to look up how to check pressure. Thanks for your help.

Update:

Taking it to mechanic. Thanks lilaudi69. You were the only one who even tried to help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts