Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Get everyone, well after pulling a PO135, I got in a new oxygen sensor, and I see where the sensor is, but being as young as I am, I havent really ever taken apart this cars engine yet? What all needs to be taken out or done to replace the bank 1 sensor 1 02? I see it but cannot reach it..... Thanks everyone

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
IIRC on stock headers it is pointing horizontally towards the passenger tire and is accessible without removing any parts. Just need an o2 sensor socket and the right sized extension.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I see where it is, but how could I unplug it, I cant see the plug nor can I fit my hand in there, also how would that socket work with there being a wire? and where could I buy that socket? Would it cost much just to have a shop replace it?

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
Here's a picture of an o2 sensor socket.

It has the slot on its side so the wire can hang out. The plug for the o2 sensor should be on your plenum, passenger side. Either black or grey plug, skips my mind with one is upstream and downstream.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the picture, hopefully autozone carries it, I was told the one im looking for is the one up top on passenger side and downstream is on the bottom, i see the wire but i cant seem t find the plug still, its behind the manifold somewhere

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anyone who has replaced this specific one? Do you just reach in and feel around hoping to find the plug?

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
when you say plug are you talking about the o2 sensor or the electrical plug that plugs into the cars harness? Just toss that socket on the o2 sensor thats above your precat and unscrew it counterclockwise, and at the end of this o2 sensor unplug it from the cars harness.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, Im talking about the electrical harness, I know how to connect it and get the sensor out, I am just asking if the eclectrical harness can be reached by hand or will I have to remove any engine components to get to the electrical harness, sorry I should have been more specific

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
It is reachable by hand. your bank 1 o2 sensors should be mounted on the passenger side of your plenum.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I was working on it today, using the socket from autozone, i couldnt get it out, it wouldnt turn, even when using a breaker bar, i cut the wiring out and got that part finished but the sensor itself wont come out and i dont want to strip it, so im taking it to a loccal shop that said they can do it and if it strips it they will put a new ring on the pipe and retap the hole for 80, sound about right? dont know why the damn thing wont turn, had multiple people try it

·
TxTuning.com
6,810 Posts
It gets on there pretty tight. I wouldn't worry about stripping it, just bust that damn thing off. For the shop to weld another bung on there they will have to remove/install the plenum so I believe 80 sounds pretty fair for an hour of work.

·
Waiting to spool
3,237 Posts
To get it off first drive the car around until the exhaust is warm (this will expand the metal) then spray wd-40 on it and let it soak for 5ish minutes. Then take it off.

Also if you have access to a torch that will help greatly. Just heat it up with the torch and then take it off.

·
54,375 Posts

the 6 point 'crow foot' socket for O2 sensors can get you some more leverage by turning your ratchet into a big wrench. I use a LONG 3/8ths ratchet at work with one of those sockets and rarely have a problem, If I do then out comes other sockets (special set of sensor sockets which will not strip) or we usually get the torch out if we're replacing the sensor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts