Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my passenger side front Hub/Bearing Assembly. Is this a DIY type job? I'm a pretty mechanically inclined person, or so I like to think.

I tried searching but can't find much info on it. One person said it was as simple as removing 4 bolts and a C-pin. Another person said it requires a special press. Yada yada yada, no one specified whether they were talking about the front/rear or just the bearing or the whole assembly. I couldn't find a straight answer.

So I pose this question, is this a doable DIY job or should I take it to a shop because it requires special tools?

·
Premium Member
4,967 Posts
I haven't tried it, couldn't say on that.

But I would suggest looking around the site here for the pdf repair manual. You might read through it and get a good idea of what you're up against.

Hopefully someone else will chime in that has done it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I just had to replace my hub, actually. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but I personally don't think it was too hard. It's easier to just replace the entire hub. You take off the brake assembly, undo the big ass nut in the center, and then remove the 4 bolts in the back, and then the hub comes off.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I just had to replace my hub, actually. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but I personally don't think it was too hard. It's easier to just replace the entire hub. You take off the brake assembly, undo the big ass nut in the center, and then remove the 4 bolts in the back, and then the hub comes off.
:agreed:

That's about all there is to it...I'd buy a new cotter pin for the axle nut while you're at it though...cotter pins are not meant to be reused...:bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
you may want to break that "big ass nut" loose before you remove the brake assembly. That way or have someone hold them on wlhile you turn on the nut.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts