Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
405 Posts
This is about as unrealistic as telling a person to send me his car in a box, and I'll repair it and ship it back. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
338 Posts
Looks like you have a leak in your evaporative system. Could be as simple as a loose gas cap, or something much more involved. The second problem is with your O2 sensor on the radiator side. The sensor is bad, or unplugged, or something is wrong with the wiring harness. Third is both banks are running way too lean. I'd fix the o2 sensor first and see if that helps, but since both banks are lean and only the front bank sensor is a problem, I suspect you have a vacuum leak between the MAF and the intake manifold. That's just initial guessing based on your codes and nothing else.

You asked for a cost to repair. I'd guess a couple hours for the evap system; an hour for the o2 sensor; and a few hours on both banks being lean. Maybe 6 hours of shop time, at whatever your local rate is. Probably on the order of $100/hour. Plus maybe $100 in parts.

Now, it's possible you tighten the gas cap, reconnect a loose O2 sensor connector, and everything clears up. Or the tech spends 8 hours chasing a vacuum leak and tears the top of the intake apart, replacing gaskets and vacuum lines, and still doesn't find anything.

·
Registered
8 Posts
P0441 P0455 P0131 P0134 P0171 P0174 These are the codes she said i had wrote down!!! Please recommend potential cost to repair
If you are dealing with vacuum leaks, someone has said here before to get a pipe (like 3 ft long) and put it to your ear and then go around the engine and listen for the vac leak, I thought the pipe thing sounded weird, but I did it and it works better than a smoke check imo, I am probably going to pick up a mechanic stethoscope on my next tool run because of how well it worked. You can buy vacuum tubing at autozone/ oriellys, you will need 4mm, 8mm, and perhaps 10mm (for the breather between the two valve covers), but you will only need them if you have a leak in a tube.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
405 Posts
This is not a new idea. Back before most of you were around we used to tune multiple carburator setups on early hot rods and sports cars using a length of fuel hose. We would put one end down the carburetor opening and listen to the air being sucked in around the throttle plate. By matching the sound on each carb we could get the throttles in sync Special equipment has long ago been invented to make this procedure obsolete. Fun memories though. ...J.D.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
540 Posts
This is not a new idea. Back before most of you were around we used to tune multiple carburator setups on early hot rods and sports cars using a length of fuel hose. We would put one end down the carburetor opening and listen to the air being sucked in around the throttle plate. By matching the sound on each carb we could get the throttles in sync Special equipment has long ago been invented to make this procedure obsolete. Fun memories though. ...J.D.
And if you switched ears, you would likely get a different result...lol

·
Registered
405 Posts
No, you did not switch ears. Nobody said it was accurate. That was just the best we had at the time. ...J.D.

·
Super Moderator
2001 Spyder GT
1,291 Posts
I learned that trick from my dad back in the day. He would use a straight length of brake line to check tappet noise... I had a 57 Chevy and Dad got a hole saw and cut a two-inch hole over my rear differential and installed a body plug. This was used to add oil to the rear-end gears. Lots of little tricks old timmers came up with...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts