Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m curious does removing the restrictor out of the hose cause a high idle on cold start ? I’m having the same issue which is p0401. So far tested and cleaned Egr valve, replaced solenoid with a dorman brand , and I replaced the restricted hose with a regular one . Haven’t got a CEL yet but I’m worried that it may be damage engine internals in the long run . Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Btw Cel stayed on after Egr valve clean and solenoid replacement but stayed off so far with the restrictor hose replaced with a regular one .

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
405 Posts
Went through all this with mine [V-6] over the winter. I found most of the issues are not with the EGR itself. I replaced all 3 of the control parts associated with the EGR system and then reset the CEL. Problem solved. I found removing the restrictor had no lasting result. The high idle [up to1500rpm] on cold startup is normal, as long as it returns to a normal idle [700-900] when warm. ...J.D.
Land vehicle Vehicle Grille Hood Automotive tire

·
Registered
351 Posts
This is too funny. In JUST got this code driving to work this morning. I recent did the plugs, wires, rotor and distributor cap on my 2001 GT about a month ago. Code popped up this morning. Being the car is 21 years old, it might be best to swap out all of these old parts. If the part numbers are the same as the 2003 GTS, then I have spares.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome thanks JD & GTSDRIVER2003. I greatly appreciate it I cut the small bb out of the hose, cleaned it and put it in a new hose code hasn’t came up yet but I will be replacing the manifold pressure sensor as the last component to Egr system . And to be clear the components that make up the Egr system is the Egr valve, Egr solenoid, white painted hose, and manifold pressure sensor correct ? I want to make sure I didn’t miss anything . Also my car goes up to 2k on cold start.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
405 Posts
Apparently, the Absolute Manifold Pressure tells the ECU what to do with the EGR. Mine is the same age. Just about everything to do with emissions has been replaced by now. I am at 143,000+. Today the battery died. I had notice it had been running a little funny the last week or so. All of the sudden, it just would not start. Battery died that quick. Then the battery supplier told me "Hey, that thing [battery] is 10 yrs. old" . OOps 😮...J.D.

·
Registered
2001 Spyder GT
338 Posts
I’m curious does removing the restrictor out of the hose cause a high idle on cold start ? I’m having the same issue which is p0401. So far tested and cleaned Egr valve, replaced solenoid with a dorman brand , and I replaced the restricted hose with a regular one . Haven’t got a CEL yet but I’m worried that it may be damage engine internals in the long run . Any thoughts or opinions would be greatly appreciated. Btw Cel stayed on after Egr valve clean and solenoid replacement but stayed off so far with the restrictor hose replaced with a regular one .
A clogged EGR restrictor will cause a P0401. Removing the restrictor should not change your idle. But you should remove the restrictor, clean it, and reinstall it. You can push it through the hose using an awl or a similar tool. I've read that the restrictor prevents the EGR valve from opening and closing too fast, similar to water hammer, but I don't know if that's true.

·
Registered
405 Posts
" I've read that the restrictor prevents the EGR valve from opening and closing too fast, similar to water hammer, but I don't know if that's true."
I think you might be right there. That is a vacuum signal that is "transduced" from a digital signal. The vacuum signal needs time to build up, where the digital signal is instantaneous. Got in to something similar working with some of the first digital HVAC controls back in the early days of that industry. We had to drive a 0-20psi pneumatic actuator off a digital signal. Now it is all done DDC. ...J.D.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys for all the informative answers, I greatly appreciate it! I haven’t had a chance to clean the restrictor but I have been driving to work with the restrictor off and I haven’t had a CEL . I do notice a lag in throttle response though not sure if that’s the cause . Does anyone know if there is any possible engine damage that could possibly happen if I keep driving without the restrictor?

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
540 Posts
So after reading this thread and others, I think it would probably be a good idea to periodically clean the restrictor, thus prolonging the life of the EGR valve...
This is a perfect example of a maintenance item that is relatively unknown, and why these forums are so valuable!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So after reading this thread and others, I think it would probably be a good idea to periodically clean the restrictor, thus prolonging the life of the EGR valve...
This is a perfect example of a maintenance item that is relatively unknown, and why these forums are so valuable!!!
Honestly feel the same way, everyone came together with there knowledge and got it figured out. Good shit!

·
Registered
405 Posts
I joined this site, not that long ago. I am a pretty competent mechanic, but I really needed a "primer" on 3g's. Mine had been so faithful, and reliable for so many years that I did not know much about it when it started showing it's age, ...J.D.

"thier" is correct. I argue with my spell check on this one all the time. It tells me the thier is NEVER correct. Seems like the spell checker on this site was done by a 20 yr. old in his mommies basement. :D...Jim

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
540 Posts
I joined this site, not that long ago. I am a pretty competent mechanic, but I really needed a "primer" on 3g's. Mine had been so faithful, and reliable for so many years that I did not know much about it when it started showing it's age, ...J.D.

"thier" is correct. I argue with my spell check on this one all the time. It tells me the thier is NEVER correct. Seems like the spell checker on this site was done by a 20 yr. old in his mommies basement. :D...Jim
For a nominal fee, I'd be happy to edit your posts...
"Their" is correct, not "Thier"...it is an exception to the "I before e" rule.

·
Registered
2005 Spyder GT
540 Posts
Ha ha ha ha...that's what I like to see... Not only can you learn about your car but get a spelling lesson for free... @Sisyphus58 ... do you give cocking classes as well. Everything I make tastes like rubber.:ROFLMAO:
"cocking" lessons??? Oh geez, another one who needs editing services!!!
Bwahahahahahahahaha.....cough cough....bwahahahahahahahaha!!!

·
Registered
405 Posts
For a nominal fee, I'd be happy to edit your posts...
"Their" is correct, not "Thier"...it is an exception to the "I before e" rule.
Yeh...I missed that one ! After almost 8 decades of life, seems like I am slipping a bit:p...J.D.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts