Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

Ripp BB vs. eManage vs. Brat

12K views 249 replies 31 participants last post by  callmeebryan 
#1 ·
I know that the Ripp BB can not be programmed (except through Ripp) and eManage can. I know Ripp is supposedly coming out with the Brat for better control of the ECU. So what is the advantages/disadvantages/benefits of the BB and/or Brat over eManage? That is, say if you had a Tearstone tuned eManage for the SDS with suck thru.

#9 ·
acolvard` said:
Maybe this is a better question. Ripp's BB fights with the ECU, therefore the Brat is/maybe the solution. Does eManage have the same problem?
I've had my Tearstone kit on and running since January '06 with the eManage with the baseline tune, and so far no problems. Only error code I ever get is P1400 (Manifold Differential Pressure Sensor Circuit Malfunction).

Out of curiosity, would the BRAT box work with applications other than Ripp's?

#10 ·
acolvard` said:
Maybe this is a better question. Ripp's BB fights with the ECU, therefore the Brat is/maybe the solution. Does eManage have the same problem?
I'm not sure where this perception of "fighting with the ECU" comes from, but currently we are not having any issues with using the e-manage. The only fight (if any) with the ECU is the desire for the ECU to tune itself back to 14.7:1 in closed loop operations then carrying those long term fuel trims over to wide open throttle (open loop). But this is all explained in detail in the piggy back tuning thread in the sticky on this forum. Others who have converted over to the e-manage with their various applications seem to be doing fine as well. I don't see where the argument is here. The only thing we can do better is to replace or reprogram the ECM itself. Those options are available through a Haltech or AEM EMS and soon Myne's Performance software to retune our ECUs.

#14 ·
acolvard` said:
I know that the Ripp BB can not be programmed (except through Ripp) and eManage can. I know Ripp is supposedly coming out with the Brat for better control of the ECU. So what is the advantages/disadvantages/benefits of the BB and/or Brat over eManage? That is, say if you had a Tearstone tuned eManage for the SDS with suck thru.
New Brat Box will give you safe control over your tune.
SMT-6 Software has come a long way since the 1st BB.

#16 ·
punker9474 said:
How is this an argument? He asked an opinionated question (yes it's been answered before) and he got and opinionated answer :dunno:
No what happens is you get a bunch of members that agree that emanage is better, then you get a another bunch that think RIPP is better, then its another waste of time thread arguing and debating which is better, and in the end most everyone concludes that standalone is best choice.

#18 ·
Emanage works, RIPP Box works. (timing + fuel control)
Emanage lets you retune. RIPP lets you retune (requires send back to RIPP)
Emanage has a baseline tune via Tearstone that you can not access; RIPP box has a baseline tune via RIPP that you can not access
Emanage can be wiped out clean for custom use; RIPP box can not be wiped out
Emanage base tune will fall short against ECU if fuel trims are negative; RIPP box tune will far short against ECU if fuel trims are negative

not much else different. choose your best poison

#19 ·
TheFranchise said:
Emanage has a baseline tune via Tearstone that you can not access; RIPP box has a baseline tune via RIPP that you can not access
Emanage base tune will fall short against ECU if fuel trims are negative; RIPP box tune will far short against ECU if fuel trims are negative

Emanage blue can adjust injector pulse widths by adding more voltage.
Emanage Ultimate can totally control each individual injector.
Emanage Ultimate can eliminate your MAS and replace it with a MAP.

#20 ·
TheFranchise said:

And why cant the RIPP box be wiped out?? Simply download the software, buy the cable, and erase everything and start from scratch.....

#23 ·
NAPALM said:
So the Brat is like a piggyback, for the piggyback?

Piggyback² ?? :ghey:
Brat is Perry's prototype digital BB

Tearstone said:
The Grey Box I had would let you replace the stock MAS with the 3" or 3.5" GM MAF.

HKS F con V pro works too.

#25 ·
Tearstone said:
Not exactly. The ECU supplies a ground to the injector signal lines. Emanage simply keeps the injector signal line grounded for a longer duration, thus increasing duty cycle, and thereby adding more fuel. :twothumb:

Tearstone said:
Just curious if anyone has verified that the Ultimate is able to shorten the pulse widths?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.