Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a company that makes rollcages for the 00 Eclipse among other cars. I contacted the company directly and indeed they make custom roll cages for our cars. For people that are interested in this. The cages are either bolt in or weld in..

APPLICATION YEAR(S) BOLT-IN U-WELD
Eclipse, Talon 00 83974 60974C

Bolt in: $830+100 shipping

Weld in: $380+100 shipping

Autopower Industries - Roll Cages

I am planning on order one soon. So I will let everyone know how it goes.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool which one are you going with?
I was thinking of going with the Bolt-in. Just for the fact that it will be easier to modify if anything. Rather then having something welded in and making it a lot harder to change things around. Both a SCCA approved, so whatever floats your boat. Plus welding inside a car can be tricky so I dont feel like messing around with that.

From the pictures I seen they look high quality made from DOM .120 tubing.

·
My snail is bigger!
1,154 Posts
They have one for a MIRAGE, but not a Galant. ::ghey3:

Because the motorsport history of the mirage is just SOOO rich. Jesus, I picked the wrong car to mod.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
Ya, I've seen them before but I'm looking to find someone who actually has one installed. There are a few on the board who have one, but I want to see actual installed pics so I can see the mounting points, etc.

I've asked.. but of course.. the few who do have it either don't have access to a digital camera (it's 2007, I call BS on that), or say they'll take some pics and you never hear back.

Autopower offers a few other options for bolt in cages that are all reasonable in price. I think the most practical option they offer is the "Street" one.

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ya, I've seen them before but I'm looking to find someone who actually has one installed. There are a few on the board who have one, but I want to see actual installed pics so I can see the mounting points, etc.

I've asked.. but of course.. the few who do have it either don't have access to a digital camera (it's 2007, I call BS on that), or say they'll take some pics and you never hear back.

Autopower offers a few other options for bolt in cages that are all reasonable in price. I think the most practical option they offer is the "Street" one.

Well I will be ordering mine next week. So I will definitely post some pictures up of the install and stuff, and hopefully add a How To:

I thought that the "Street" option was for their Roll-Bars ant not their Full Roll-Cages. That's at least the answer I got directly from them.

Eitherway, to me it looks like they offer some high quality products and they have pretty good costumer service. I know a few people are looking to get roll-bars or cages here, so I figured I would post up some information.

Its nice to see finally more stuff coming out for this car 8 years after its release :lol: I just realized my car is 8 years old, wow. :eek:

·
Registered
163 Posts
theres a guy from socal who had this in his car.

heres the only pics he showed of it. but he no longer has it. car got totaled.

sorry it doesnt show much.

[/IMG]

·
Ah yes...
10,964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow. That looks like really nice quality roll-cage. Much better then anything I could fab up around my garage. I got to say it looks really good installed. Very top quality, I'm impressed.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wow. That looks like really nice quality roll-cage. Much better then anything I could fab up around my garage. I got to say it looks really good installed. Very top quality, I'm impressed.
yes its very nice. they did a very goodjob on it. if u get it, powder coat it. his was painted. and didnt look good painted.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
yes its very nice. they did a very goodjob on it. if u get it, powder coat it. his was painted. and didnt look good painted.
I personally would paint match it to the car color.. that was my plan initially. Either way, I'll most likely do this around Jan/Feb after the holidays are over with and I finish moving to the new house.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I personally would paint match it to the car color.. that was my plan initially. Either way, I'll most likely do this around Jan/Feb after the holidays are over with and I finish moving to the new house.
but it scratches easly. lets say u take it apart. ding 2 pipes together or what not and its sratched. but paint matching it would be very nice.

·
New daddy
3,352 Posts
The bolt in cage would be easier to deal with. It has only a sigle side tube and there is no bar that would go through the dash. However, the weld in cage would be safer, as it would be harder to break welds away from the body than bolts. An a down side it doesn't look like the weld in cage has the tubing fishmouthed. Who knows the pictures could be vastly different from what is actually offered. One thing to consider is the amount of clearance between the seats and the door trim with the stock seats? BTW, I thought there has been some form of cage available for our cars for at least the last 5 years or so.

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
I want to see how the driver side bar comes down by the a-pillar. I want to know how much space it leaves for a 3 guage pod. Also, the exact mouting points for the two rear bars, interested to see where that is.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Not to badmouth anyones car because the sparcos with that cages looks BADASS. But for safety reasons seatbelts shouldn't loop over the cage then to the floor. They should go to the cage. IIRC it will cause spinal compression in the event of a rollover or serious crash.

On a side note do alot of guys use these cars for scca type racing? Or is the silver car running 11 second 1/4 mile times which will require the cage?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Not to badmouth anyones car because the sparcos with that cages looks BADASS. But for safety reasons seatbelts shouldn't loop over the cage then to the floor. They should go to the cage. IIRC it will cause spinal compression in the event of a rollover or serious crash.

On a side note do alot of guys use these cars for scca type racing? Or is the silver car running 11 second 1/4 mile times which will require the cage?
show is most of the reason. that then saftey. you never no when doing a canyon what could happen.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Kinda figured show. A stripped interior and racing seats with a cage makes a car look sick but can you justify the cost of a cage for a 16 second car?
Yeah safety does come into play don't get me wrong but the weight loss of that stripped interior is long gone when you put a cage in a car that doesn't have the power to back it. not to shit talk or anything just discussion.
btw whats a canyon other than a land form?

·
Registered
163 Posts
Kinda figured show. A stripped interior and racing seats with a cage makes a car look sick but can you justify the cost of a cage for a 16 second car?
Yeah safety does come into play don't get me wrong but the weight loss of that stripped interior is long gone when you put a cage in a car that doesn't have the power to back it. not to shit talk or anything just discussion.
he had to take out the door pannels because the seats wouldn't fit. so he said "that since i had to take the door panels out why not everything else".

1 - 20 of 38 Posts