Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Mitsubishi eclipse Spyder gs with a 2.4L inline 4 and it’s been having a rough idle for the past couple days when I start the car up it’s cold outside so it’s a cold start it idles at around 3k rpm, and stays there for awhile when I start to drive it it idles around 1k but whenever I come to a stop the rpm surges up and down around 1k to 1500, and when I put it into park it idles at 2500 and the idle surges again going up and down from 2500 to 3000 rpm.

I think it might just be the iacv but if anyone could help me diagnose this and help me figure out what’s wrong with it that would be great.

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
680 Posts
The rough idle would lead me to suspect an EGR issue. I am not that familiar with the 4 cylinder cars as I am with the sixes, but I went through this with my GT last year. The relay controlling the EGR was defective. I found the EGR valve itself is pretty reliable, but the controls between the ECM and the EGR tend to fail. I have had to replace them on my car twice in the 17 years I have owned it.You my also have some issue with the IAVC as well, I don't know. I again am more knowlegable on the V-6, but that rough idle thing is classic EGR. ...J.D.

· Registered
2001 Spyder GT. Koni adjustable shocks. cold air intake, ST sway bar.17X8.5 rims. LED headlights.
680 Posts
When I fixed mine, I replaced the MAP sensor because it tested bad. The car ran much better, but it still idled rough. I then tested the EGR valve and found no fault with it. I then changed out the two pieces that controlled the EGR and everything was smooth. It has been running well for about a year now. Persistence pays off. ...J.D.

· Registered
6 Posts
When I fixed mine, I replaced the MAP sensor because it tested bad. The car ran much better, but it still idled rough. I then tested the EGR valve and found no fault with it. I then changed out the two pieces that controlled the EGR and everything was smooth. It has been running well for about a year now. Persistence pays off. ...J.D.
which 2 parts of egr did you replace

1 - 6 of 6 Posts