Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so here is my problem. About a week ago, i took my car to a Good Year garage and had them do an alignment on my car. Now, when ever i am driving 30 mph or faster and turn to the right, my car makes this like rubbing\grinding sound coming from the front left wheel well. I took my car back to Good Year today and took a mechanic for a ride, he said it was a wheel bearing going out ($277 plus tax) I left without having them repair it.

My dad says he doesn't think its a wheel bearing because the rubbing sound doesn't increase in speed when I'm going faster, and it only does it when i turn to the right. I can turn left and go straight all day without the sound, but the slightest turn to the right, and its rubbing again. Plus, the sound is absent when i am turning slowly, like in a parking lot or in my neighborhood. A mechanic that my dad works with said it might be a CV joint going out.

So, my question is, does this sound familiar to anyone? Or, does anyone know what the problem is? Any help/insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
kickin it old school
1,487 Posts
Last time I had that, and it sounded like a tire was rubbing, it turned out to be my power steering was out.

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
Man how weird. I had the EXACT same problem. When you turn slow you cant hear it but if you go just a little bit faster you can hear it. It ended up being the wheel well guard, the plastic piece that attatches to the bumper right infront of the wheel. It was sticking out to the point where if I turned with a little speed I could hear it.

Just turn your wheel all the way right and then get out of your car and see what your tire could be rubbing against.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Man how weird. I had the EXACT same problem. When you turn slow you cant hear it but if you go just a little bit faster you can hear it. It ended up being the wheel well guard, the plastic piece that attatches to the bumper right infront of the wheel. It was sticking out to the point where if I turned with a little speed I could hear it.

Just turn your wheel all the way right and then get out of your car and see what your tire could be rubbing against.
So, what could I do to fix that problem. What did you do to fix it?

·
"Suck my unit"
2,927 Posts
So, what could I do to fix that problem. What did you do to fix it?
Those plastic screws that hold the guard fell out so it was sticking out towards the wheel so when I turned right it rubbed and made a loud noise. I just pushed it back in and put a replacement screw in it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just noticed the same thing on my stratus on the way home from work.
I have no idea what it could be either, but i haven't really looked at it.
When i drove her this morning it was gone after like 5 minutes of drving.

It might have been that the tires haven't been driven on durning in the cold in a while.(The car sits while i am at college for most of the winter.)

·
(b)org banugee
4,549 Posts
Those plastic screws that hold the guard fell out so it was sticking out towards the wheel so when I turned right it rubbed and made a loud noise. I just pushed it back in and put a replacement screw in it.
This happened to my wife's honda as well.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
My car isn't lowered.

Today, I am taking my car do my dads work where we can use the garage there to get my car on a lift and check it out. I was told by my uncle (who is a mechanic) that it could be the backing plate or something like that, behind the rotor. And that when Good-Year did my alignment, they might have pushed that up against my rotor. So, we are going to lift it up, and see if that is bent. Ill update you guys tonight.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, i screwed in all the wheel well guard screws, and pulled the backing plate back away from the rotor, and the sound it still there. I have no idea what is going on now.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
UPDATE: I took my car to my uncles house today (He is a technician for Ford) and had him put my car up on his lift at his house. It is my wheel bearing. The front left wheel bearing is what the issue is. I guess that this is a pretty popular issue with our cars. My uncle was saying that this happens so much with these cars, and Mitsubishi is aware of it, that they came out with a whole package you can purchase that includes the wheel bearing, hub, and everything else that WILL go out. So, we ordered a wheel bearing ($150 for a high end one) and we are putting it in tomorrow.

Thanks for the input guys, and hopefully my experience will help you guys out in the future.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts