Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 04 GTS and i lowered my car, on Tein springs, but gett coilovrs soon, but everytime i turn the wheel my tire rubs against my wwheel well with and without stock wheels, what can i do?

·
Administrator
16,324 Posts
First off, you did it wrong in the first place. You don't lower your car on factory struts. They can't handle the added stress. So, you need to buy some new KYB AGX struts and shocks. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Now, as aftermarket wheels, what size and width are they? You can't have anything over 8.5in wide, but the offset matters too.

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
First off, you did it wrong in the first place. You don't lower your car on factory struts. They can't handle the added stress. So, you need to buy some new KYB AGX struts and shocks. If you're going to do something, do it right.

Now, as aftermarket wheels, what size and width are they? You can't have anything over 8.5in wide, but the offset matters too.
what does ANY of that have to do with his questions?

OP: your car is low, that brought the wheels nearer to the wheel wells. simple thing: persuade the wheel wells with a hammer (like i did) or don't drop it.

·
Administrator
16,324 Posts
what does ANY of that have to do with his questions?

OP: your car is low, that brought the wheels nearer to the wheel wells. simple thing: persuade the wheel wells with a hammer (like i did) or don't drop it.
His wheel width and offset could easily be to large for the car, thus the rubbing. Pretty simple?

·
GTSEclipse
2,014 Posts
i have the same issue, its no biggie. most likely youre rubbing on the plastic "boxes" on the wheel well cover. Rather than cutting them out hit it with a heat gun and push them in. there is some metal behind the driver side, which stated earlier, just hit it with a hammer

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Yes i just got Tein bassic coilovers, instread of the struts, they are 22x11 +42! HAHA just kidding! but really mine are 18x7.5 , and cant remember the off set lol sorry, and yes it is rubbing on that plastic box, and does the hammer thing work lol?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He said it was happening with the stock wheels as well.
yes with both sets of wheels it is happening with, it just sounds bad.. and want to get rid of it if i could, just wondering what people have done, or if they even have this problem

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Do this, or deal with it until you put the coilovers on. The reason for the rubbing probably has a lot to do with you not replacing the shocks when you installed the springs, I run Tein S-techs with KYB AGX shocks and have no rubbing.

Rather than cutting them out hit it with a heat gun and push them in. there is some metal behind the driver side, which stated earlier, just hit it with a hammer

·
REDLINE ALL GEARS
5,043 Posts
did you get a alignment? Whats your camber set at? No matter what your going to have to cut that plastic and hammer that metal box in the front. I run 17x9 +30 offset on coilovers no rubbing issues at all after modifying that box

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
His wheel width and offset could easily be to large for the car, thus the rubbing. Pretty simple?
everyone would have that issue then, since he said he has stock wheels with the issue.

and Jstewart:
coilovers will also cause rubbing... if you are low enough. it is all about height, hence why i had to persuade mine (in a hard turn at the track, my lip drags the ground... so i would say i am pretty low).

·
Premium Member
6,548 Posts
Oh, i know that coilovers can easily rub as well, and you AutoXing them just makes you a more extreme example. My point was that after he gets coilovers he can set them so that he won't rub without modifying anything and still be pretty low.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
did you get a alignment? Whats your camber set at? No matter what your going to have to cut that plastic and hammer that metal box in the front. I run 17x9 +30 offset on coilovers no rubbing issues at all after modifying that box
Yes! I probably do need an alignment, and that little box does need to go, so the metal piece that is there, what is that, I haven't looked that close to it yet, but so I hammer it from the side, or directly in. If you understand? will it hurt anything? Because yes I do want to do this modification, bc I do like it lowered.

Ha! And yes scarr that's pretty low :eek:

·
Titanium Spork
9,045 Posts
Yes! I probably do need an alignment, and that little box does need to go, so the metal piece that is there, what is that, I haven't looked that close to it yet, but so I hammer it from the side, or directly in. If you understand? will it hurt anything? Because yes I do want to do this modification, bc I do like it lowered.

Ha! And yes scarr that's pretty low :eek:
if i remember correctly, moving it will not do anything (take a headlight out to make sure, you can see it from there.) when i did it i didn't have anything bolted to that metal part... and it was kinda bent up from the accident anyway.

behold a comparison shot (that i love)

top is stock suspension, bottom is post accident on the coilovers. that low and you get ALL kinds of rubbing.
(plus i have wider wheels too.)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys i was having the same rubbing problem i was wondering is anyone had a picture or something on where to hammer n pushing the plastic? :dunno:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts