Mitsubishi Eclipse 3G Club banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Hates Electrical
1,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys think it is safe to sand down my rusted headers on my 2000 GS and maybe spray them with some Duplicolor silver paint? I couldnt mess anything up by sanding right??

Sorry if thats a fucking noob question...

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
it would be better to have them sandblasted before painting, just remember
not to touch the bare metal with bare hands. Cotton gloves work good.
Eastwood sells a stainless paint that works pretty well, I used it many years ago when I had my ChevyII in shows. Be carefull after painting, not to rub the paint off while installing (wrap in news paper). The paint cures with heat form the exhaust. Here's their site, just look it over -
http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?itemID=394&itemType=CATEGORY&iMainCat=390&iSubCat=394&page=2

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
are they headers or your stock manifold?
The stock manifold on the 4G64 is a header...

it would be better to have them sandblasted before painting, just remember
not to touch the bare metal with bare hands. Cotton gloves work good.
Eastwood sells a stainless paint that works pretty well, I used it many years ago when I had my ChevyII in shows. Be carefull after painting, not to rub the paint off while installing (wrap in news paper). The paint cures with heat form the exhaust. Here's their site, just look it over -
Eastwood High Temp Exhaust System Paint & Coatings
Eastwood also now sells a brush on ceramic coating for exhaust components...I've been thinking of getting it myself...oh, and thanks for the idea of blasting the headers instead of sanding them...I just found out the auto hobby shop on base has a bead blast cabinet, so I may just do that...oh wait...they won't let me paint there...hmm, I'll have to figure out a way to do that...:scratch:

·
Banned
18,282 Posts
The best option is ceramic coating or jet coating.

You want to sandblast first, perform the desired coating you choose, then tumbled in polishing beeds as a final step. Your outcome will turn out MUCH better than any shake/rattle can product.

This is actually a service I offer if anyone reading this is interested. I completely ceramic coated a ful set of HyTech Headers which I have on my car as an example of what it looks like complete. :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts